WANTED: set of 1978-1980 NOS Roof Rail Weatherstrips (non T-Top)

Trader history for BlueCalais79 (0)

BlueCalais79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2021
Yup that's what I got, 12 of those, NOS individually wrapped. I note TPP has a LH/RH set of weather strips for T-Top cars for $595. Right now my 79 Hurst's T Tops don't leak but I'm sure they will some day. And I remember the heck of a time I had finding Hurst Hatch weather strips NOS back in 2004, I almost had to abandon restoring that car because of that. It took me 8 years to find one set and I found 4 sets within 3 weeks. That's how it goes.

I no longer have that car, the 79 H/O I have now has the factory fisher tops. $595 does not seem so off the wall compared to going through what I did to get the H/H weatherstrips, they cost me $1200. Back then.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
That's how it goes sometimes. You usually can find a zillion of what you need AFTER you find the first one that you need. And sometimes for a steal of a price after you bled through the nose.

I built several sets of T-top seals...one piece here and there at a time. The pieces were pricey AF from GM even in the early 90s. Considering there's the separate secondary stick on seals and the side pieces, that got pretty pricey real quick.

But if you think roof rail seals are hard to find...try finding that NOS main seal for the sunroof!!!!!!!!!! Cue Rktpwrd on that one. He hunted that sucker for a good while.

Rktpwrd

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Truth. Fact is, ANY parts for these cars are becoming more and more scarce. If you don’t snag them when you do happen to come across them, you may never get a second chance.

I pulled the trigger on some NOS ‘80 Calais grilles and a passenger side headlight bezel that #69hurstolds put me onto as well, even though I wasn’t particularly prepared to replace them at the time, simply for that reason.

BlueCalais79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2021
100% right on. Store 'em when you don't need em yet. On a much smaller $$$ scale I have been nabbing those small plastic fake chrome pieces that line the bottom of the header panel (the H/O doesn't use them. Last week we went to a cruise night where as we were leaving a real bonehead did a burn out and kicked debris on the front of my car, the only piece being damaged was the middle piece under the header panel emblem. put a smack in it the width of a quarter. I guess I was lucky that piece was there. It must have deflected whatever hit it. The next day I went down to the basement stash and replaced it. I bought that replacement piece in 2003.

I know who the burnout driver was. I will see him again. Soon.

• Sad

BlueCalais79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2021
Got my NOS Drivers Side Weatherstrip in the mail yesterday, I'm really impressed how GM packaged these, some kind of vacuum packed foil-like wrapping where air nor light can get in. I've got to think when this package gets opened the piece will be as fresh as the day it was packaged........

The hunt continues for the passengers side.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
They only packaged them in the foil for mil-spec use from what I was able to ascertain from the local parts guys. They had to be in a more durable packaging for those applications. Don't know how true that is, as I got the information from the parts guys at the dealership. For general over the counter parts, they folded them up and put them in the clear on one side, blue/white striped GM paper packaging. But either way, yes, if they've not been stored damp or too dry, they came out of either packaging smooth and soft as a baby's behind.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

ContactAdmin@GBodyForum.comfor info on becoming a sponsor