wanted turbos

Status
Not open for further replies.

james_cambron

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2007
Nebraska
does anybody know where I can get some good turbos off of a GN or regal. And maybe an intercooler. I will build all the tubing and such, but I cant find any good turbos I can use. I plan to add twin turbos to my 383 in my Malibu

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
I'm not an expert but i belive the GN turbo will be a little small. Most F body guys running 350-383ci use garrett T3 turbos. You could get them from ebay but with a turbo in my opinion eithier from a shop or good source. Most ebay or auction turbos look good but if you can not touch them and feel how wuch slack or play there is you don't know whatyou are getting. Then again you could getsome cheap and get then rebuilt (don't know how much that costs).

james_cambron

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2007
Nebraska
thanks

ryanwitski said:
I'm not an expert but i belive the GN turbo will be a little small. Most F body guys running 350-383ci use garrett T3 turbos. You could get them from ebay but with a turbo in my opinion eithier from a shop or good source. Most ebay or auction turbos look good but if you can not touch them and feel how wuch slack or play there is you don't know whatyou are getting. Then again you could getsome cheap and get then rebuilt (don't know how much that costs).

see I thought about that, but I didnt know if it would matter since I was going to use two of them. This is why I have you guys for answers. If you dont think two smaller gn turbos will work then I will reconsider my thinking and maybe look for some t3 turbos. Any ideas of what all I will nee to do this. I am keeping it carb'ed so I need to know what all I need. blow offs, etc... also should I keep it hot air or should I use an intercooler. Keep in mind I will not be racing the car. Mostly just show with a little go. lol

Cutlassjim

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2006
Stock GN turbo's are t3's. All that the t3 denotes is the exhaust housing style. A t4/t3 hybrid like all the Honda guys yap about is just a t4 exhaust housing with a t3 center section and compressor housing. The newest rave from Garrett now is their GTxx line ranging from I think 12 to 45? with an R at the end meaning dual ball bearing center section.

And airflow wise two stock GN turbo's would be good for around 700-800 horse so their not too "small" persay. When most people say small they are talking about the A/R ratio or size of the exhaust housing being too small. But if a 3.8 can breath alright out of one then a 383 (5.9 liters?) should be able to breath fine out of two.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
true, that does make sense i suppose.

james_cambron

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2007
Nebraska
cool thanks

Cutlassjim said:
Stock GN turbo's are t3's. All that the t3 denotes is the exhaust housing style. A t4/t3 hybrid like all the Honda guys yap about is just a t4 exhaust housing with a t3 center section and compressor housing. The newest rave from Garrett now is their GTxx line ranging from I think 12 to 45? with an R at the end meaning dual ball bearing center section.

And airflow wise two stock GN turbo's would be good for around 700-800 horse so their not too "small" persay. When most people say small they are talking about the A/R ratio or size of the exhaust housing being too small. But if a 3.8 can breath alright out of one then a 383 (5.9 liters?) should be able to breath fine out of two.

I think I found a kit I am going to use. I cant remember all the specs, but it is from a company that builds turbos for the small nlock family of engines. They say there twin turbo setup is worth around 800 or so horse. I am now in the process of building the motor. I am putting in only the best parts I can get. all cast crank and rods etc... I will then have it balanced. I dont want to take any chances of detonating anything. That will be alot of boost pushed into that motor. I am really thankfull for all the help you guys have been giving me. Hopefully I will be able to return the favor to you. Have a great day and as always G-BODIES FOR LIFE.

FLY_THE_BOWTIE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2007
norman ,ok
who is the company and how much for the kit. i read about a guy that had a 455 in a trans am and got a turbo off of a cummins diesel and put it on the car. was it as fast as an aftermarket race setup, no, but it did run good. i think it was low 12s on an otherwise stock engine. cheap power.

james_cambron

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2007
Nebraska
turbo info

FLY_THE_BOWTIE said:
who is the company and how much for the kit. i read about a guy that had a 455 in a trans am and got a turbo off of a cummins diesel and put it on the car. was it as fast as an aftermarket race setup, no, but it did run good. i think it was low 12s on an otherwise stock engine. cheap power.

well I have learned alot about turbos thanks to alot of people on here. Jerrycad sent me a website that he could probably send to you as well. This is what I have learned. Turbos like higher rpm engines and usually kick in the boost at higher rpm's. I on the other hand want the boost to kick in at a much lower rpm. I am going with a twin turbo setup, mostly for the show curcuit, so I wanted a setup that would 1. give me a ton of lowend torque when needed, 2. not hurt gas mileage too much, 3. not detonate my engine. I found a good formula to do this. I want to run turbos that are small for my engine by most opinion. small by about 25%. example of this is; I am going to use two turbos off of a 2.2l engine. this will give me the boost of about a 4.4l engine. wich is about 75% of my engine. Without the website in front of me it is really hard to explain anymore than that. I am sure that jerrycad would post the web address if you ask. It made alot of sense when I read it. I hope this helps a little. oh yeah, about your friends TA. I think the turbo he used was just way too big, or was just not setup right.

Feb 25, 2007
ohio
Re: cool thanks

james_cambron said:
... I am putting in only the best parts I can get. all cast crank and rods etc... I will then have it balanced. I dont want to take any chances of detonating anything. ...

If you want an engine that can take some boost, you don't want cast parts, you want forged parts. :wink:

Also, check http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-v8-conversions/

There's a lot of info you can use there.

Cutlassjim

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2006
Turbos like higher rpm engines and usually kick in the boost at higher rpm's

That is a completely false statment. The best turbo motors around are diesel engines and last time I checked they only revved to 2500-3000 RPM. When a turbo spools up is completely dependent on the motor size and A/R ratio.

I am going to use two turbos off of a 2.2l engine. this will give me the boost of about a 4.4l engine.

Again this is a little off skew. What you want to look for are two turbo's that will flow enough (turbine/exhaust side) so that they don't choke the enigine at whatever rpm you want to redline at. This also has nothing to do with # of turbo's. You could get one small turbo that would spool right off idle but would choke the motor up top. Or you could put a huge turbo on that didn't make desired boost until the last %80 or your rev range. Or you could run 8 small turbo's off of every cylinder. What you need to do is make a trade off between top end power and where you want the boost to come on.

And there is no such thing as "the boost" of a 4.4l engine. Boost is all relative to airflow. Boost comes from the turbo outputting more air than the motor can ingest so it backs up in the form of pressure in the intake minifold. It's like trying to shove 10lbs of sh*t in a 5lb bag. The more air that comes out of the turbo the more boost you will build.

Airflow is the key. If you take a motor that runs at say 20lbs of boost and you throw a cam(s) in it and make no other changes it's probably going to run around 17lbs of boost. This is because with the cam(s) the motor can now process more air so there will be less buildup of boost pressure.

Also having the motor balanced has nothing to do with detonation. Detonation is the direct result of too much cylinder pressure. Too much timing, too much compression, too much boost all equal too much cylinder pressure. Detonation is when the air/fuel mixture auto-ignite ahead of the flame front from the spark plug and causes rapid uncontrolled explosions that cause EXTREMELY high cylinder pressures.

Ok I've been ranting too long and it's 2 AM. Ask some more questions in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor