Warning! Bad Olds V8 Motor Mounts in the Field - DEA A2328

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob_t442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 2, 2011
southwest florida
While working on my stock drivetrain '85 4-4-2, I decided to replace the original motor mounts with fresh units, found them on Rock Auto, and expected them to fit based on the writeup on the website including " Dimensions tested / approved using CMM (machine which takes readings in six degrees of freedom and displays these readings in mathematical form)."

I took my time getting to the replacement of the mounts thinking there was nothing to be concerned about. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way that apparently "six degrees of freedom" just weren't enough. The mounts in question are manufactured by Marmon Ride Control (formerly DEA Products), part #A2328.

I finally got to the motor mount reinstallation. I bolted them to the engine block, torqued them to the proper specification, then lowered the block back onto the frame pads, finding that the 'ears' that wrap around the frame pads were not manufactured properly. The ears only had 3/16" of 'ear' length between the top of the through-bolt hole in the ear to the body of the mount. The factory mounts require 1/2" of ear length in this key dimension - apparently left out of the six degrees of freedom, or should that be spelled "freedumb."

I've attached pictures of how the mounts (subsequently unbolted from the block) failed to line up with the frame pad through-bolt holes. Also note in the IMG_4810 you can see the letters "DEA" molded into the rubber of the mount (nearly straight up from the bolt hole in the ear).

I worked over the phone with Tom, the manager of the local O'Reilly's Auto Parts store, who made measurements for me on the mounts he had in stock. Of the two he had, one was bad and marked "DEA" and one measured to have the proper 1/2" of meat in the ear. Tom then ordered two more mounts for delivery the following morning and called me to inform me they were both bad. He offered to order more mounts for delivery by lunchtime. He called me back again, and this time he received another bad mount, but this time had a good one as well. All of the bad ones had the same "DEA" letters molded into the rubber.

I'm just putting this info out there as a word of warning - be very careful when ordering replacement mounts and measure all the critical dimensions, even if you have to exceed six degrees of freedumb.

Now that that's done, I'm dealing with needing to make an adapter plate to go between the fuel pump and the block since the Delphi replacement pump uses a different casting design that does not clamp fully on the block face since they decided to widen the hole the pump arm sticks through, most likely to save 0.003 seconds time in assembling the pump. It never stops.

Attachments

• IMG_4805.JPG
    IMG_4805.JPG
    826.2 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_4810.JPG
    IMG_4810.JPG
    866.1 KB · Views: 359
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The only ones that fit are the Supercars Unlimited ones. All RWD Oldsmobile V8 motor mounts are the same from 73 to 90.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Show pics of the fuel pump. The Carter Muscle Car replacement pumps have fit as they should for me. I would be dammed if I have to make adapters to fit a replacement mechanical fuel pump.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
" Dimensions tested / approved using CMM (machine which takes readings in six degrees of freedom and displays these readings in mathematical form)."

I'm just putting this info out there as a word of warning - be very careful when ordering replacement mounts and measure all the critical dimensions, even if you have to exceed six degrees of freedumb.

LOL. The supplier is probably some Chinese sweatshop with a crappy Faro arm they call a Coordinate Measurement Machine. I see a lot of suppliers that are proud of their Faro arms.... Fixed (real) CMM machines are better. Six degrees of freedom refers to the number of axis that the probe stylus can operate in.....Doesn't really mean much and is the basic minimum for a CMM machine.

1591966995921.png

• Informative

bob_t442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 2, 2011
southwest florida
The only ones that fit are the Supercars Unlimited ones. All RWD Oldsmobile V8 motor mounts are the same from 73 to 9-210.

My O'Reilly's Auto Parts supplied mounts that ended up working for me with no modifications were not from Supercars Unlimited, but instead branded as "Power Torque" motor mounts, UPC# 0-13321-21352-3, Item #A2328, MRCUS, made in India.

i'm glad you took the time to science it out. There have been several threads about these with no specific reason as to WHY they don't fit. Thanks!

Enquiring minds want to know specifics, which is why I took some of my precious lockdown time to noodle out the details. It would have been a lot easier for me to make measurements if I hadn't thrown out the old mounts in the garbage collection the night before. Instead I was crawling under the car and measuring the frame pad requirements with a 6-inch metal engineer's ruler.

Now we have additional information to make informed decisions with.

LOL. The supplier is probably some Chinese sweatshop with a crappy Faro arm they call a Coordinate Measurement Machine. I see a lot of suppliers that are proud of their Faro arms.... Fixed (real) CMM machines are better. Six degrees of freedom refers to the number of axis that the probe stylus can operate in.....Doesn't really mean much and is the basic minimum for a CMM machine.

Anubis, I wouldn't doubt the accuracy of your statement about the Faro arm. There's no way those mounts ever met specifications. But now I, and hopefully others, are all the wiser.

bob_t442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 2, 2011
southwest florida
Show pics of the fuel pump. The Carter Muscle Car replacement pumps have fit as they should for me. I would be dammed if I have to make adapters to fit a replacement mechanical fuel pump.
I'll make a separate thread for the fuel pump issue. Stay tuned.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Glad you got some of the cheap motor mounts to work. They seem to be a crap shoot, looks like a few sets need to be bought to get one good one, which is ridiculous.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor