Warning Chime Differences/Modules?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
This is probably going to be one of the more esoteric questions asked on this forum, but the wealth of knowledge on here never ceases to amaze me, so here goes.

Way back when, when my mom’s wagon was new, it had a warning chime/buzzer that my mom found annoying, so we pulled the noise-making module. It wasn’t the late ‘70s “buzz”, but it was a monotone kind of electronic tone. Kind of similar to the new GM corporate “bong-bong” except it was just a continuous “BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG!”

Does anyone know if GM offered a “bong-bong” chime in the G-Body, and if so, what models and what years? If not, does anyone know if a different chime module out of another model could be swapped in? Thanks in advance.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Can't remember off hand, it's been sitting in a bin for the past several years waiting for the car to be put back together.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
So FWIW, this is the sound I'm going for. I'm wondering if my current wiring and voltage would allow for the use of this chime module. See 0:45-0:55 seconds.

84slow

Greasemonkey
Feb 6, 2017
Ontario.Ca
Lol I likethis thread... Speaking about chimes mine doesn't chime. Were is this thing located on a cutlass I'd like to get it working

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Next time I'm up at my mom's, I'll take a picture of the chime module. It's basically a black box with a few wires coming out of it. My brother pulled it years ago because my mom didn't like the noise.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
So, browsing around on the interwebs, it looks like doing the door chime swap is a popular upgrade on the GMT400 ('88-'98) trucks. It appears the door chime from the early '90s Camaros and Firebirds work, and it looks like some of the late '80s and early '90s B-Bodies also have a similar chime.

The later '90s and early '00 models evidently integrated the warning chime into the body control module, and the sound is produced electronically through the driver's speaker. The swap isn't exactly the same sound as the current GM "bong-bong" chime, but a lot better than the "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG" monotone chime that came in most G-Bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor