Warped SBC intake manifold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I have been having issues with a nasty yet hard to find vacuum leak. Finally found that the intake manifold gaskets on both banks were leaking. Especially around the ports for cylinders 6 and 8. Removed the intake and put a straight edge and feeler gauge to it. Passenger side is flat but the driver side has .015 warpage at the ports for cylinders 6 and 8. The engine is a HO 305 and a used GM ZZ4 intake manifold. Can it be saved with milling or do I need a new intake manifold?

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
If its off take it to a machine shop and get an estimate. Like was said, between setup and milling time, a used $75 manifold may be cheaper.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Any chance the heads or block have been decked poorly?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I think I would also try the thicker intake gaskets. What do have to lose? Worse comes to worse, it doesn't rectify the problem and you pick up a cheap Performer intake.

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
Give it a light spray of gasket stick it looks purple or a paint and block the gasket surface with a fine grit and see if its flat. If its really close maybe do it yourself or take it to a shop and get it shaved flat but then is it the same price as a newer one

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Thicker gaskets with a coat of Perma-Tex High Heat spray a gasket added to them for insurance.

Check out a couple of upcoming swap meets in your area and see what's around. E-Bay but be aware that they are a Buyer beware situation.

If considering the self-machining route, Might be possible to do it with a rigid sanding block like body-men use to block sand panels. Use 400 or finer Wet/Dry paper or emery cloth and wet it with machinists tapping or cutting fluid. I have seen a block decked that way but it was more of a cleanup of the head gasket surface rather than an exercise to remove material. Would say this is a last resort option.

If the manifold has some history with you then the machine shop. Question? Does your local college have a machinist's training course and do they accept walk in customers with work to be done that a senior student could do?? Know anyone who happens to have a milling machine and would trade work for booz, work, parts, ???

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I bought this ZZ4 manifold used off of Ebay years ago for $20. Sadly intake manifolds with EGR cost a good deall more than ones without EGR. I don't know anyone with a mill.

I still have the stock L69 intake sitting in the barn. Just checked it out and it is not warped. However, its pretty dirty and is badly eroded around the rear coolant ports. Probably requires welding and milling those ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor