Washer fluid pump not working - little help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
My wiper motor works but the washer fluid won't spray. I don't even hear any electrical noises or anything. 1984 El Camino, the wiper switch has a high and low. All I could find was that the wiper fluid pump is part of the wiper motor but no instructions on how to test if its bad and needs to be replaced. Also I don't see anything coming from the fluid resovior so I'm not sure how this system works. The only port is on the lid, but its missing a hose connection.

I saw a pump motor on Dixie but I don't won't to buy it unless I need it. Maybe I just have a bad fuse or something. Thanks in advance for your help.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I mount a universal electric washer pump in the reservoir and wire it to the factory switch, works instantly and you don't have the pulsing the factory one has.

NJ Longroof

Random guy
Feb 27, 2020
Thank you. Any idea of what the part number is?
Screenshot_20210212-180845_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Do you have the little cylinder constant spray pump or the piston pulsing style? Usually, if you have a cylinder style pump, it's lack of use that allows them to dry up and crystalize. Thus, no workee when you go to use it. If you hear NO HUMMING from the pump when you try and use the squirters, you're not turning the motor. If it hums and nothing happens, try cleaning out the lines before and after the pump. Or you may not have enough fluid in the lines and it may just take a minute for it to start pumping out.

The piston style may need rebuilding, or new rubber valves. Or possibly more work? I don't know. It's more mechanical, so it should be turning if your motor is running and you click in the washers.

Going off memory here, but for the round cylinder pump, there is a small metal clip with a tag holding the cylinder pump on the motor cover. The way its situated, it's probably easiest to just take the wiper motor off the car first to reach the clip. A few bolts and some wires and it's off. The pump is PITA to get out, but once the clip is out the pump should be able to come out of its seat where it plugs into the motor cover. 99% of the time, the pump end is simply clogged up solid with crystalized washer fluid and won't turn because the impeller is clogged up. It's just a little rubber star impeller in there.

You could soak the business end of it in hot water for a little bit and see if you can get it to loosen up. I have disassembled them before and got them to work again (brush springs can fly out so watch out for that if you take it apart). But now I've got a slew of NOS ones if that sh*t happens I'll just swap in a new one.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
I mount a universal electric washer pump in the reservoir and wire it to the factory switch, works instantly and you don't have the pulsing the factory one has.
Not a bad idea. Do you mind telling us which, showing a photo and how hard to install?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Not a bad idea. Do you mind telling us which, showing a photo and how hard to install?
I got mine from Autozone years ago I believe it is made by Anco , you just drill a hole in your washer reservoir near the bottom and install a rubber grommet then push the pump in and run the new hoses to it and wire it up.
I even left the factory lid on the washer reservoir but removed the inside hose and sump but left the hose on top as a "dummy" hose so it still looks factory.

Reactions: 1 user

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
Thanks for all the responses. I went with njtileguy's suggestion and ordered the part from Rock Auto. I checked at my local pep boys ( I always try to shop local first) but the parts were twice as much. Rock auto with shipping was under 13.00 and it will be here on Weds. Good enough.

My car was sitting since 2011, and its an 84, so I'm sure these parts need to be replaced.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
No reason not to go with the cylinder pump. They're pretty reliable if you use them periodically and keep the juice going through them. At least the Delco pumps are. I don't even know who actually makes them for Delco though. It's likely Standard Motor Products, but who knows?

There are three styles of the pumps that I've ever seen, but any should work. The pump bodies should all fit into the housing. There's the type with the 90 degree inlet or outlet (can't recall which one is sideways) and then there's the ones with both inlet/outlet at 90 degrees to the pump, and finally the straight up and down inlet/outlets. That's the only real difference between them.

Maybe this drawing will help in figuring out what to do to change it out. There's a little bent clip you need to remove to get the pump out. It's listed as #2 in the drawing. Then the pump should pop right out. While it's possible to change it without taking the motor off, it's a huge PITA because of where it sits. It is for me. I may not be doing it right.

G-body Washer Pump Wiper Motor Layout Drawing.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor