Washer Pump test/fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

brrian

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
81 Grand Prix with delay wipers. The motor works, wipers work on high, low, and delay. The washer pump doesn't work. There's a click in the motor when I push the switch to mist, but nothing moves. I have the motor out of the car & I'd like to bench test the pump motor/mechanism. I have an automotive tester that I can hook up to the battery & send 12V to this thing & see what happens. Is it as simple as that, and if so, which terminals should I use?

Also, what's the deal with getting parts for this? I'd really like to get this all working but if I need parts, are they available? Other posts seem to indicate that they're not, but I'm not sure if they refer to what I have.

Edit: shortly after posting this I found this: (Cardone 40-901). Is it the correct replacement for mine?

Pump Test.jpg

switch.jpg

1658018871546.png

Attachments

• Pump Test.jpg
    Pump Test.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
The wiper motor has to be running for the pump to work so you will need to connect power to both of the connectors not just the one with the arrows. The switch connects the ground to activate the motor.

Green is for the delay you wont touch it. Need the switch and its variable resistor to test the delay feature best to test that with the motor installed in the car.
White is positive 12 V.
Pink is grounded to turn on the washer pump.

On the other connector.
White is positive 12 V
Purple grounded is HIGH.
Purple and gray grounded together is LOW.

New pump is an AC 86714 or a Trico 11516.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
As long as the delay timing functions with the motor working in both low & high, replace the pump with something like the Trico 11516 or simular as that is an electric pump unlike the OE mechanical pump that both delay & non-delay motors used. Years back I replace the dead pump on my non-delay with a Trico electric pump & will do the same on the delay motor I'll be using.
Parts are out there on Ebay & most parts store. Just have to know what you're looking for/at. As for that Cardone p/n, it's good for your G.P. ('80-'83).

brrian

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
As long as the delay timing functions with the motor working in both low & high, replace the pump with something like the Trico 11516 or simular as that is an electric pump unlike the OE mechanical pump that both delay & non-delay motors used. Years back I replace the dead pump on my non-delay with a Trico electric pump & will do the same on the delay motor I'll be using.
Parts are out there on Ebay & most parts store. Just have to know what you're looking for/at. As for that Cardone p/n, it's good for your G.P. ('80-'83).

Trico 11516 is cheap ($40ish) and fairly easy to find.
I also found ACI 172620 - its $125ish and requires the circuit board from the old pump.

If all functions work, I think I'll try the Trico. Thanks!

brrian

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
FYI - I can report that ACI 172620 is an exact-fit, exact-function replacement for my old pump. You take the circuit board off the old pump and install it on the new, so it works identically to stock. The instructions reference cutting the black & pink (purple) wire, but it's not necessary to do so. The original plastic cover even fits.

ACI 172620 sells for $150 at most auto parts stores, but is currently ~$71 at Summit and can be found at Amazon for about the same price (I bought mine there, but it's now out of stock).

& maybe this is actually slightly better than stock... it's a 4-lobe pump & isn't stock 2-lobe?

IMG_20220804_085838.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor