Water leak on passenger side floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
So quick question when it rains my passenger side floor gets super wet. i hear it can be a drain plug get clogged up or windshield can leak. My question is, is the drain plug for the hvac accessible from the inside of the car or under the hood? And if it’s the windshield. how do i take the chrome molding off to check? Thanks for the help.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Zach,
Chances are it's a bad seal around the HVAC box....common problem with our type of cars.
To flush out the drain in the heater box, you'd first have to remove the screen, then with a garden hose flush the box and watch as the water and dirt drain out from the bottom of the car. Actually, I think the drain is behind the fender well.
The other method would be to loosen the fender well/ wheel house and stick a coat hanger, welding rod, etc, thru the drain hole.

I'd suggest having someone run the hose in that area while you're in the car with a flashlight. Don't use pressure, just let the hose run without the nozzle.
Beside the HVAC box, it could leak between the pinch weld by the firewall and corner of the right fender. The windshield channel could have a rust hole...another possible leak location.

To remove the windshield moulding you'll need a hook tool to release the clips...or if you don't care about breaking the clips, you can carefully lift the moulding off, but would have to replace the clips afterward.
Blake did an informative thread on removing moulding clips.
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/how-to-remove-window-trim-with-pics.12757/

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Thank's for the help Jack.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Very common problem with gbodys . I had taken a picture for a close friend many years ago too help him out with the same problem since he lived in another state. If you look at the picture the blower motor has been removed and i had placed a piece of orange tape inside to show him where the drain is and its covered by a piece of rubber that just flaps you need to stick your hand in there too feel it. Thats where the water drains under the car but over time that area builds up with dirt or pine needles and the water doesn't drain or drains slowly . How does the water get in the car , if you look down threw the cowl screen same side where the blower motor is you will see a metal hump, under that is an opening thats connect to your ducting to let fresh air in. If that drain opening is clogged and water starts building up and you move your car some of that water go's into that opening inside your car. If that drain area is clean and water drains i would look at the heater box seal.
20180328_203353.jpg

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Very common problem with gbodys . I had taken a picture for a close friend many years ago too help him out with the same problem since he lived in another state. If you look at the picture the blower motor has been removed and i had placed a piece of orange tape inside to show him where the drain is and its covered by a piece of rubber that just flaps you need to stick your hand in there too feel it. Thats where the water drains under the car but over time that area builds up with dirt or pine needles and the water doesn't drain or drains slowly . How does the water get in the car , if you look down threw the cowl screen same side where the blower motor is you will see a metal hump, under that is an opening thats connect to your ducting to let fresh air in. If that drain opening is clogged and water starts building up and you move your car some of that water go's into that opening inside your car. If that drain area is clean and water drains i would look at the heater box seal. View attachment 85509

So i took off the blower motor and it was FILLED with dirt/mud and all kinds of junk. filled a 20oz cup full of junk, Not sure if its a cure all yet but im sure it was a massive problem. Thank you for the pic showing me that. I cant believe how much crap was in there. The drain flap was completely blocked off by junk

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Zach,
Chances are it's a bad seal around the HVAC box....common problem with our type of cars.
To flush out the drain in the heater box, you'd first have to remove the screen, then with a garden hose flush the box and watch as the water and dirt drain out from the bottom of the car. Actually, I think the drain is behind the fender well.
The other method would be to loosen the fender well/ wheel house and stick a coat hanger, welding rod, etc, thru the drain hole.

I'd suggest having someone run the hose in that area while you're in the car with a flashlight. Don't use pressure, just let the hose run without the nozzle.
Beside the HVAC box, it could leak between the pinch weld by the firewall and corner of the right fender. The windshield channel could have a rust hole...another possible leak location.

To remove the windshield moulding you'll need a hook tool to release the clips...or if you don't care about breaking the clips, you can carefully lift the moulding off, but would have to replace the clips afterward.
Blake did an informative thread on removing moulding clips.
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/how-to-remove-window-trim-with-pics.12757/

The drain hole is under the screen on the passenger side? How far down is it and is it just a open hole that i should be able to see? I took the screen off but need to take the wipers off to fully get the screen off to really look down it.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The drain hole is under the screen on the passenger side? How far down is it and is it just a open hole that i should be able to see? I took the screen off but need to take the wipers off to fully get the screen off to really look down it.
Give the whole area a thorough cleaning; you'll be much happier that you did. Wipers, cowl trim, cowl screen, etc..... go to town on it. Once it's clean, you can touch up any dried body sealer. I'd use Ultra Black, but I'm sure someone has a better solution.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Useful

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Zach,
You tend to get all kinds of dirt, decomposed leaves, and all kinds of crap down there. Many of these cars have gone for years without a thorough flushing of the heater box.
You can actually look down with a flashlight and see where the bottom funnels down to the drain hole. While you're down there, check the condition of the rubber flap/ door.
I had to replace mine due to water getting past the flapper. Again, if the box is clear, there's less chance of the water escaping thru the flap.

While you have the lower windshield trim off, make sure it's clean under there and no rust holes. You might as well inspect these areas while you have access to them.

I see Jared had it all covered in his thread with large clear pics of the area in question....nice work, Jared.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor