water pump back plate leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
Ok guys so got everything good to go on my motor and my brand new edelbrock long water pump leaks at the back plate after I bled the cooling system. So I drain the system pull the pump, pull plate and clean all surfaces. I install a new feltlpro to gasket with a small amount of permatex #1 form-a-gasket. Let it dry all day. Re bled cooling system and sup rise it leaks again

So my question is how the hell do I fix this issue?

I have a can of permatex right stuff. Was debating pulling up part tomorrow cleaning it all up laying a good bead down and installing the plate with no gasket.

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
I'd be inclined to call Edelbrock in the morning. It's brand new and shouldn't require all this fixing. They could offer to replace it under warranty or, in the very least, give you pointers on how to repair it if you want to go that route.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
Yeah that's in the plan for tomorrow. Suckso this is the only thing keeping it off the road

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I like Edelbrock stuff but twice I have had an issue with their Victor water pumps, the first new one I installed and after I started my car I noticed coolant coming out of the front of the pump from a casting flaw( I'm like are you kidding me) so I got a new one from them which they sent to the wrong location instead of the one near me but that one worked fine for many years, then when I rebuilt my engine I decided to buy a new one again and at some point I noticed a coolant stain on my lower hose so I tightened the hose some more and thought it was fixed and later on I noticed the stain was there again so I jacked up the car this time and noticed that the stain ran up to the seep hole and of coarse at this point it was just past the warranty period and they would do nothing for me.
So I would verify that it is truly leaking from the backing plate.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
I can watch it seep out of the plate. Half tempted to just orderror up a stewart stage 2

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
Pressurized the system today. LeaKS starting @13 psi called edlebrock. The can't understand why it leaked out of the box but it's not undez warranty because it sat on my shelf too long. Then they said when I resealed it it leaks because the felpro gasket is too thin. So they are sending me one and said to coat w/ right stuff. Don't even know if I'm going to mess with it and just install the stewart when it shows up

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor