Water Temp sensor between cylinder #6 and #8 on Passeger side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purple87SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 14, 2016
I have an 84 SS. Few questions:

This sensor is for water temp, right?
Where does this sensor's wire originate in the harness and what color is it? I have cut wires in my factory wire harness, as nothing is hooked up to this sensor.
What does this control, the gauge or dummy light?
What is the part number to replace the sensor?

TIA.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
An SS will have a temp gauge. The gauge temp switch is between cylinders 1 & 3 on the drivers side using a single green wire coming out of the engine harness.

Reactions: 1 user

Purple87SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 14, 2016
An SS will have a temp gauge. The gauge temp switch is between cylinders 1 & 3 on the drivers side using a single green wire coming out of the engine harness.
Thanks for your input, and I'm not being sarcastic when I say this (seriously), but that doesn't answer my questions above.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Only other temp sensor is on the front of the intake by the themostat housing using two wires, one black & one white, which is part of the computer harness.

Reactions: 1 user

Purple87SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 14, 2016
Ok thank you. So what's the sensor I'm referring to? Maybe my block is not factory? Someone painted the block orange at one time in its past life. I'll have to grab a pic and share.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
To follow up on pagrunt reply, the sensor is normally on the left cylinder head between cylinder 1 & 3 with a green wire attached. Monte Carlo SS should have the gauge not the warning light.
If the cylinder heads were swapped out at some time in the engines life it could end up on the right bank between cylinders 6 & 8.

Threads in at red arrow in the picture.

P1011922_LI.jpg
Sending unit should look something like this for the gauge. or possible with a blade style connector.
sending-unit-temperature-1964-72-w-gauge-kr00611.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Sending unit should look something like this for the gauge. or possible with a blade style connector.
sending-unit-temperature-1964-72-w-gauge-kr00611.jpg
Only the '78 cars used that style. '79-'80 would have the blade with the same 1/2"-14 pipe thread, '81 up would also have the blade but 3/8"-18 pipe thread. '80-'81 are mixed years so it's possible that either thread size could of been used depending on plant/Chevy engine.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
If the heads are aftermarket ones, the manufacturers have only one casting that will fit both sides of an engine. Just plug the water temp hole between cylinders #6 and 8 with a threaded plug and press on.

Purple87SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 14, 2016
Yes 79USA1, that is what I'm seeing. So at a minimum the heads were swapped out it seems. Curious to what's on there now.
I'll still post pic when I have chance and try to grab the number on the heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor