CUTLASS Way Overdue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RotaryLvr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 22, 2022
My intro is way overdue! Bought an '84 Hurst Olds right before Christmas. Braved the traffic of Atlanta with a trailer in tow to bring it back to just the other side of Augusta, GA in South Carolina. Since buying it, I've been working on a large number of overdue maintenance issues and stuff just not done right. Previous owner bought it three years ago and said he never drove it due to his trucking job. Lots of things done wrong that he had someone do.
So, I've researched on this forum but I had the impression that there was nothing really going on anymore...(many forums are slow due to Facebook groups I think). That siad, I chanced a post here and wow(!) did I get accurate responses. My mistake not checking here with my questions. I'm going to be correcting that issue!

Reactions: 5 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
My intro is way overdue! Bought an '84 Hurst Olds right before Christmas. Braved the traffic of Atlanta with a trailer in tow to bring it back to just the other side of Augusta, GA in South Carolina. Since buying it, I've been working on a large number of overdue maintenance issues and stuff just not done right. Previous owner bought it three years ago and said he never drove it due to his trucking job. Lots of things done wrong that he had someone do.
So, I've researched on this forum but I had the impression that there was nothing really going on anymore...(many forums are slow due to Facebook groups I think). That siad, I chanced a post here and wow(!) did I get accurate responses. My mistake not checking here with my questions. I'm going to be correcting that issue!
Some people hate Facebook and the interaction dynamics there. But the biggest thing Facebook loses out in is the searchable history and archived threads.

Eventually the pendulum will swing back, just a matter of time.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Pictures and descriptions of "Lots of things done wrong that he had someone do".

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
Some people hate Facebook and the interaction dynamics there. But the biggest thing Facebook loses out in is the searchable history and archived threads.

Eventually the pendulum will swing back, just a matter of time.
Problem is, it is searchable. But like many forums, people just don't bother. The downside is Facebook don't have any categories and you can't really browse in any way other than semi-chronologically. I say semi, because FB uses their own algorithm to decide for you what's important. I find it interesting for certain stuff and For Sale posts, but that's about it.

Welcome RotayLvr. Based on the handle, I'm guessing you;ve also got a love for Mazda's and rotary....just a guess. Feel free to post of some of that stuff to - in addition to the Hurst of course,

RotaryLvr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 22, 2022
I would have to say some of the answers received on FB were no way as descriptive as what I received here. I started with a question on the vacuum lines for the HVAC and was overwhelmed with the information here and the detail! I did learn about the different steering wheels on FB so I learned about that and bought a replacement three spoke on ebay. That was another learning experience to gather all the components.

And Hurricane, yes, I have two RX7's that are long time residents in my driveway as well as several Miata's and like your picture, I have a 2001 Cherokee and an 06 Wrangler LJ Rubicon.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
What? Wait...

NO. There's no 3 spoke steering wheel on the 84 H/O. Either late December '83 or early January '84, they changed steering wheels from the small horn cap style like the 83 sport wheel, to have a large hub horn ring with a silver outer ring on the horn button.

Early:
4-1562707978833@2x.jpg

Late:
1984-olds-hurst-cutlass-11.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

RotaryLvr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 22, 2022
I've got to get my interior looking like that. Its a bit tatty. I do have new seat covers but not the exact color. They don't make Maple Red anymore!

What I was referencing was the 79-81 steering wheel from a 442 or even a Toronado (HSC?) leather three spoke. That wheel is a lot thicker than the skinny stock wheel on the 84. The first picture is the leather covered wheel from the Toronado, the second from a Cutlass I believe as its vinyl or not leather. The trick is to discern from a picture if it truly is leather which is what I was after. The second wheel is not what I wanted. Then, you generally have to source the horn button and in my case, I had to get the back of the wheel cover that you see in the third picture. The second picture is as shipped, just the bare wheel. I had to source horn cover but it came with the mount in the back of the wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_3679.jpg
    IMG_3679.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3680.jpg
    IMG_3680.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3681.jpg
    IMG_3681.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3678.jpg
    IMG_3678.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Welcome, great choice for a Gbody, probably my favorite.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
IIRC, Toro got the leather, and Cutlass got the vinyl on those 3 spokes. Could be wrong.

Reactions: 1 user

RotaryLvr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 22, 2022
No, not wrong. That is what I understand as well. Unfortunately, due to the molded in stitching, sellers advertise the vinyl as leather. Now I know what to look for. Not all Toro's though. I think it has to be an XRC or whatever the three letter designation was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor