Ways to do alignment at home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

84_SS

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2015
Windsor, Ont
So I'm pretty well at the point of driving my car, drive shaft will be here on Friday. But after swapping to all Umi tubular control arms and having the frame completely re-finished it badly needs to be aligned before I drive it. Does anyone know of a site or write up to do this myself? I really want to stay away from the alignment shop right now, don't really trust leaving my car with them, especially with the tune not complete and it having a rmvb in the trans. Any info will be appreciated!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you can do it with a string and a level but it takes alot of practice or you can buy a caster/camber tool along with toe plates.. You first want to square your steering set up first. The toe is the last thing you do and then you check everything again after you set the toe

showImageEcom.ashx
showImageEcom.ashx

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
I would make arrangements with he shop that you stay with the car, drive the the vehicle on the hoist yerself and wait there while the job is being done. Back her off the rack when shes done. Test drive it yourself.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I'm considering buying this with my brother. Will work on his 78 Z28 with 17's, his 02 Sierra with 16's, my 82 GP with 16's, my 08 Sierra with 20's and our dad's 62 Galaxie with 15's.......
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/qta-e90042

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I had a friend that used to claim his yardstick/bubble-level/tape-measure "alignment" was as good as a shop. He ruined so many tires he could have had a real alignment done twice a year for less money. Do as suggested- you drive it in and stay with it- then drive it out. A good shop will understand. And don't forget to let them know it's not stock anymore so they can give you the best alignment possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor