weather stripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
Is the weather stripping similar on the two and four door models? I know the lengths will be different but if I find decent weather stripping on a two door model, could I cut the length down and use it on a four door model? Or do I need to get stripping from a four door? Need door weather stripping for a 79 Malibu wagon. On a limited budget so that's why I'm looking for donor cars in the junkyards

85ss/85gn

Master Mechanic
Jan 31, 2007
beaver dam,wi
They make aftermarket wagon door weatherstripping

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
If you don’t care about a seam somewhere, use it to be frugal. The ends at the A&B pillars need to be there. If you buy A/M stay clear of Metro, my doors didn’t want to close.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
If you buy A/M stay clear of Metro, my doors didn’t want to close.
The soffseal for wagons is poor. First set was made wrong, second was closer, but rear door broke after about 6 months, and the fronts never sealed at the rear edge.

I'll try the hard to close Metro over the junky Soffseal next time around

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
The soffseal for wagons is poor. First set was made wrong, second was closer, but rear door broke after about 6 months, and the fronts never sealed at the rear edge.

I'll try the hard to close Metro over the junky Soffseal next time around
I just installed Steele, MUCH BETTER

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Damn. At $325+ for a wagon set, they better be OE quality.

Probably don't sell many for sedans or wagons, until the buyers have learned the hard way about other brands

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Is the weather stripping similar on the two and four door models?
Simple answer, NO. Two doors are frameless around the glass and are two pieces. 4 doors have a frame around the glass and are one piece.
Hard closing door are normal with new seals. The rubber hasn't settled yet. Give it time. Even new new factory seals have this condition. Its what we call normal.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Is the weather stripping similar on the two and four door models? I know the lengths will be different but if I find decent weather stripping on a two door model, could I cut the length down and use it on a four door model? Or do I need to get stripping from a four door? Need door weather stripping for a 79 Malibu wagon. On a limited budget so that's why I'm looking for donor cars in the junkyards
I would hold out and budget for a new set of weather stripping. It's a crapshoot whether you're going to find decent weather stripping at the junkyard.
As was mentioned, you can't use 2-dr door seals. front 4-dr sedan seals are the same, but the rear seals are different.
I am using metro seals in my wagon and I like them. I suppose everyone has a different experience and preference.

Reactions: 1 user

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
Thanks for the replies. I still have most of the pieces but they are falling off and kinked in a few spots. I'm gonna try and fix it up and glue it back with 3m weather strip adhesive. Maybe I'll try and bolster weak areas with some universal D shaped stripping. While the engine was out we also made efforts to seal up leaking heater box in the firewall area. This car normally sits out in the weather and we're getting tired of conducting mold factory experiments. Front floor boards are in bad shape too and I need to patch in some sheet metal and seal it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor