Weatherstrip fitment question / 1981 Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

PraeT

Apprentice
Jun 3, 2015
Hey guys. I put new door weatherstrip on last year when we sprayed the car. The fit was odd but a pal said it should seal once summer hit and it settled into place out in the heat.

It's not. Is there some kind of window adjustment I'm missing. They don't seem sloppy but there is roughly a 3/8" gap across the top of both windows in the center. (See pic)

Any suggestions? Thank you.

IMG_0913.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
Hey guys. I put new door weatherstrip on last year when we sprayed the car. The fit was odd but a pal said it should seal once summer hit and it settled into place out in the heat.

It's not. Is there some kind of window adjustment I'm missing. They don't seem sloppy but there is roughly a 3/8" gap across the top of both windows in the center. (See pic)

Any suggestions? Thank you.

View attachment 67553
Does seem like it's too big a gap...maybe someone will chime in as I would like to hear any advice myself

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
How is the fit on the other 2 sides? Has the window been adjusted before/needs adjusted? What brand did you use? Not all repops are equal in quality & fit.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Are you sure they were for Malibu/Lemans? I ask because many people assume that all G body coupes use the same one, which is not the case. Use of a Monte, Cutlass or Regal weatherstrip will require stretching it to make up the difference in length of the top of the door glass, which could result in making the center too thin.

• Informative

PraeT

Apprentice
Jun 3, 2015
How is the fit on the other 2 sides? Has the window been adjusted before/needs adjusted? What brand did you use? Not all repops are equal in quality & fit.

The sides seem fine. Never been adjusted to my knowledge. Not sure of the brand. Got them from Gbodyparts.com

Are you sure they were for Malibu/Lemans? I ask because many people assume that all G body coupes use the same one, which is not the case. Use of a Monte, Cutlass or Regal weatherstrip will require stretching it to make up the difference in length of the top of the door glass, which could result in making the center too thin.

Yep. Ordered for a Malibu coupe.

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Is the gap from the top window edge not going tall enough or from the upper edge of window angle going away from car? Both should are adjustable, I've always had to adjust with new weatherstrip.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Adjustment is usually required, but I question that much difference in gap from center to ends Was the part received verified to be the correct number for the application?

PraeT

Apprentice
Jun 3, 2015
They were. I'm thinking of just ordering another set somewhere. Thoughts?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I put a pair of Soffseal on about 10 years ago, worked fine. My experience with Soffseal on my wagon was not satisfactory, I will be looking at Metro to replace it.

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
I replaced the worn out ones on my 81 Malibu cope with softseal ones from opgi and they fit fine but did have to adjust the windows afterwards a little bit. Haven't had any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor