Weatherstripping - can’t be this hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB87442

Apprentice
Nov 27, 2021
Cartersville, GA
I finished installing new t-top and door seals today and I’m not pleased at all with how it turned out. The t-tops fit really tight, which I expected as I know the seals will need to conform some, but it seems too tight to me. Also I had to mess around a lot to get get the front part of the seal to not come up above the roof line, hoping the adhesive holds them in place so it’s flush. Also, when I put the tops back in there is a gap between the strip on the pillers and the top seal. On the doors, they won‘t shut all unless you slam the hell out of them. The seals at the front of the doors and a pillar are smashing together. I can’t see where they can be adjusted any, the pins are in the correct locations. I used Metro Molded Supersoft seals. Seems like a pretty straight forward process, did I install them wrong?? Just not a good brand of seals? Here are some pics.
62308ABB-51E0-48C3-AD81-6CEFE8C77F3E.jpeg
8BC9A9AC-84C5-4031-93D6-1E669A250D4E.jpeg
1A09112D-821B-4EE4-9C0C-87581123AAB3.jpeg
25745A26-2E84-4E75-B004-8BBA2ABD67E5.jpeg

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Aftermarket weatherstripping is often not molded correctly and lacks molded reinforcement plates the OEMs had. Only NOS GM seals fit 100% correct. The aftermarket often has lackluster quality.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

G-Body NY

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 17, 2022
Aftermarket weatherstripping is often not molded correctly and lacks molded reinforcement plates the OEMs had. Only NOS GM seals fit 100% correct. The aftermarket often has lackluster quality.
This^^^. It helps to install these in warm weather by laying them in the sun prior to installation. It also helps to use a heat gun to help form them to the proper shape as you install. I would latch all doors, trunk, T-tops etc and close them and let the car sit for at least a few days.

Reactions: 1 user

DB87442

Apprentice
Nov 27, 2021
Cartersville, GA
Sound like I did everything right except the time of year. Do you think I need to use a heat gun to soften them up before closing everything up or just close it and let it sit? Thinking that using a heat gun might help them mold into shape easier when the doors get closed

G-Body NY

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 17, 2022
Sound like I did everything right except the time of year. Do you think I need to use a heat gun to soften them up before closing everything up or just close it and let it sit? Thinking that using a heat gun might help them mold into shape easier when the doors get closed
I would use a heat gun or other means to just warm them up as is while they are in place and then just close everything for a few days at minimum. Just be careful with what you use as you could melt/burn them easily.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor