Weed patch resurrection...

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbokinetic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 20, 2009
Northport, Alabama
home.hiwaay.net
Hey guys. I posted in the New Members area a month ago about a 1980 Malibu I was given. I plan to expiriment with carbureted turbo system on this engine, and still am at the planning stages. Wanted to see if the engine was functional. It has a Chevy 229 V6. It appears to be built just like a small block.

Made a resurrection from the weed patch last week, if you want to hear it run, here are the videos!

At first I was told the car hadn't run since 87, but I have since learned it may have been 97. But that is still 12 years of sitting!

I externally cleaned the carburetor with Berryman B12 spray, then filled the carb bowl with same spray via the bowl vent. Changed the oil, installed a starter and battery, and this is the result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGXOQK6IXDg

Then I found a radiator and ran it for an hour or so, here is the second run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zcoo2eXAgI

Hope you enjoyed seeing that resurrection from the weed patch! 🙂

Will keep posting as I work on it.

Later,
David

That is definitely cool 😀

I'm surprised it started so easily, would've thought any old gas that'd been sitting in the carb would have it all gunked up.

Did it smoke at all? I'd think after sitting so long the rings may not stay seated the first time the engine was started again... sounded like it was running rough (maybe bad cam or low compression in a cylinder), but hey, it was still running!! 😀

Doober said:
That is definitely cool 😀

I'm surprised it started so easily, would've thought any old gas that'd been sitting in the carb would have it all gunked up.

Did it smoke at all? I'd think after sitting so long the rings may not stay seated the first time the engine was started again... sounded like it was running rough (maybe bad cam or low compression in a cylinder), but hey, it was still running!! 😀

Yeah it smoked a good bit, probably from the carb cleaner I sprayed in it! I had filled the carb bowl with Berryman B12 spray earlier that day, and allowed it to soak. The acellerator pump is weak and the carb definately needs to be rebuilt!

The PO had monkeyed up the electric choke system, and as a result the choke stayed closed all the time. The engine was sooted up and the plugs were fouled. I got it running pretty good by pouring a stream of water in the carb as I was revving the engine, to knock loose the carbon. This resulted in a large amount of smoke and soot, but afterwards the miss was almost gone. Then after I cleaned the spark plugs with a brass brush and some carb cleaner, the miss went away.

The only thing about this engine is that is sounds "loose" in the bottom end. Since I want to expiriment with a turbo on it, I need to make sure the bottom end is not damaged. Will pull the pan and see what it looks like under there. Probably roll in a set of bearings while the pan is off, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks!
David

I thought I recall saying the 229 is basically the same as a 4.3, just different displacement. If that's the case you may be able to see if it has a common bore/stroke with one of the smaller engines. Doing the math (229/.75) it comes out to a 305, my guess is it has the same bore/stroke, and it may have the same rods/pistons as a typical SBC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor