Weird electrical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhedding

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2018
I have a 1985 monte carlo ss, the issue I am having is. In order for the headlights, radio etc.. to work I have to touch the transmission cooler lines to the frame. What could cause this issue?

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Check all your grounds.

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thanks for the input I think I forgot to bolt that down. I feel stupid ill go check it.

don't ever feel stupid , we have all made mistakes and missed obvious things....

and in case you want proof we built the rear end carrier for this car and he came back after a 50 lap in a race with the rear end burnt, the gears were sharp enough to shave with. Take a look who his major sponsor was and take a guess what he forgot to put in the rear end. Now do you feel stupid?

Garry.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
You're missing the battery to body ground.

And/or the engine to body ground...usually found at valve cover to firewall, and commonly left off after engine swaps/repairs

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
If you have goofy electrical crap look for a bad ground. Remember the current has to have a return path which is the ground

• Agree

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
If you have goofy electrical crap look for a bad ground. Remember the current has to have a return path which is the ground
Nerd alert!!!!
In a 12vdc, like American cars have, the electrons flow from negative to positive..
Regardless, your ground should always match or exceed your "power".

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Zhedding

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2018
Thanks everyone, haven't had a chance to mess with it yet. Lifes crazy busy right now, however I have been ordering parts for the ls swap. The 385 is killing me on fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor