Weird wiring issue....

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I put my wiring harness in the car and got my gauges, etc wired up. Finally put a battery to it and I have power but my gauge lights and running lights are on as soon as I connect the battery. Doesn't matter what position the headlight switch is in. When I turn the key to "ON" the gauge lights get brighter. No matter what as soon as the battery is connected I have power to things I shouldn't until I turn the key or turn the headlight switch on.

The power for the gauges is coming off the gauge fuse and I also tried a number of other locations that should be key on but no change. I have the battery positive going to the "B" terminal as well as the positive lead for the fuse box. The smaller lead is on the "S" terminal. Ground is to the frame and there isn't an alternator on it yet. Starter works fine. I turn the key and it kicks on and off like it should. No headlights or taillights are in it. Just the license plate lights and rear marker lights. Its like the ignition switch is stuck on or something. This is the complete harness from my 83. All I did was cut off and tape up the circuits I didn't need.

Any ideas???

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Is the ignition switch from the 83?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would unplug the light switch, if the lights go out then the switch is the problem

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I thought they changed the wiring in 84' and up, I know the later steering columns are wired differently than the older models.
The wiper motors are also different.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I guess I shoulda added more info.

Ignition switch and the steering column are from the 83. Everything was fine when the 83 was wrecked last october. I literally just transplanted everything into the aerocoupe shell.

And when I initially tried it I didn't have a headlight switch in it. I thought that was the problem so I put the switch in it. That doesn't change anything.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Any ideas or places to start? What would cause me having power to everything as soon as the battery is hooked up? Ignition switch?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the battery cable attaches to the starter and the two red wires with fusible links carry the power from there. I would start there and trace those two wires...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Try unplugging the ignition switch and see if you still have power where it should be switched. That could eliminate or confirm the switch as the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor