Weirdest optioned g-body cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjscutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2008
stow ohio
So I thought I would ask what is the weirdest one you ever owned or saw. Let me start. About 10 years ago I owned a 81 or 83 diesel cutlass with t-tops and 442 interior.. Bucket seats floor shifter rally gauges and rear sway bar. I bought it from the original owner. Her dad bought it for her for graduation. I think I have pics of it but I gotta look.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
My first car an 81 Cutlass, Buick 3.8L auto, no A/C , clear non tinted glass not even the blue shading at the top of the windshield, F-41 suspension, no vinyl top, no rear defrost , chrome grandpa mirrors, bucket seats with no console and a column shift and a ralley guage cluster with tach delete.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Iraqi Taxi would be #1 ( v6, 3speed manual, rubber floor mats, A/C )

#2 would be my friends car before the mods. He bought it from the orig owner. 83 CDN Cutlass, Chev 305, T-Top, AM/FM radio no cassette, Buckets & Console, Emissions Delete ( no cat )

Reactions: 1 user

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
One of my Cutlasses was a 1980, non 442, R vin Supreme. Some say it isn't possible. It WAS common. The R vin pertained to the engine only and had nothing to do with other options. Common then and common now. It had AC, tilt, sport mirrors, landau top, rally wheels, 60/40 seat and no radio. I don't have the car or title anymore but someday I'll come across the build sheet, after 20 years I can't remember where the hell I stuck it... It would have been really cool if it were a 442 but it wasn't.

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Retired Coworker had a 81 Buick Century Diesel Wagon. Factory Am/Fm with CB radio, and had a cloth front seat and vinyl back seat. It actually had the 442 style dual exhaust, not sure if that was factory or not, but it would spray for mosquito's when he put the hammer down. His FIL bought it in 83, he used to drive it to work up uptil about 2004.

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
Retired Coworker had a 81 Buick Century Diesel Wagon. Factory Am/Fm with CB radio, and had a cloth front seat and vinyl back seat. It actually had the 442 style dual exhaust, not sure if that was factory or not, but it would spray for mosquito's when he put the hammer down. His FIL bought it in 83, he used to drive it to work up uptil about 2004.
that almost seems like a police car

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
If I remember right, the original owner was in sales and it had 60K miles on it when his FIL bought it. Got high 20's for mileage, as long as it was warm!

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
I purchased a 79 c10 pickup with the 5.7 litre Diesel . and what a dog that was. Nice truck
but the motor was all torque and barely 100 h.p. it ran ok for about 9 months and then it
started shooting smoke rings out the dual exhaust when idling. Gradual temp rise to the point
of over heating. Yup blown head gasket. Too much of a b*tch to fix.
Found a 75 Olds 98 4 door with a rocket 350 gas donor engine. had a bad rear end (loud whine)
$400 for the whole car. Swapped in the rocket 350 cleaned out the gas tank and it was good to go.
That diesel was one heavy MFing motor. I sent it to the crusher. I sold the truck in 1988 and whoever got it hand their hands full if they did not know where the motor came from.
I got the wrong oil filter by mistake several times asking for a chevy 350 filter the Olds 350
had a different sized seal and it dumped 5 quarts of oil in the driveway more than once.

Last edited:

oldson

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 6, 2012
1978 olds cutlass, 260 V8, with a factory T-5 manual transmission. Kinda wished I would have kept that car for the uniqueness of it, but research showed the trans was to weak to justify doing anything with it. Didn't care for the single headlights anyway.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I was supposed to go look at a Cutlass, I think maybe an 83' with a diesel that was black with no vinyl and had burgundy interior with buckets and console and full gauges but with the lower RPM tach for the diesel which all seems normal but it also had a factory radio delete plate which I could not believe they actually made for a Gbody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor