Welder Extension Cord

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I am looking for an extension cord 25' to 30' and found them kind of expensive and wasn't impressed with the plug and receptacle for the money they charge so I looked for some 6/3 wire and found nothing that was suitable for an extension cord. I'm sure some of you have made their own so where did you find the wire? Thanks

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Go to someone's travel trailer pull out there heavy 3 wire extension cord that plugs into camp sites, it's usually 30', cut it off an add ends. Lmao!

When l scraped my travel trailer l kept the cord, it's heavy just like you would buy for a welder.

And if l remember right there is a scrap trailer yard up your neck of the woods, can't remember road but it's heading north on right side, hundreds of old trailer, from you maybe 30 minutes. If you know it could get cord for next to nothing.

Reactions: 1 user

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
The cord utilized for portable generators are also heavy duty. They even have 40A twist-lock plugs attached to them, I'm not sure of the cost to purchase an assembled one though. I would just go to your local electrical supply house, buy what you need and assemble when you get home. This is probably the most cost effective way to obtain a high quality chord. Just make sure to obtain the correct current ratings..

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I like that idea but the trailer extension cords are usually rated for 30 amps and not the 50 amps for the welding extension cord.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The cord utilized for portable generators are also heavy duty. They even have 40A twist-lock plugs attached to them, I'm not sure of the cost to purchase an assembled one though. I would just go to your local electrical supply house, buy what you need and assemble when you get home. This is probably the most cost effective way to obtain a high quality chord. Just make sure to obtain the correct current ratings..

I think you're right...thanks

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
I like that idea but the trailer extension cords are usually rated for 30 amps and not the 50 amps for the welding extension cord.

Mine was rated 50 amp cord, double air conditioner. But ya may depend on size of trailer.

Could go to an electric motor shop they sell cord by the foot, get any cord you want light to super heavy.

• Creative

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Steve when we upgraded to a 5th wheel trailer for our seasonal site I had to buy a 50 amp extension cord to reach the pedestal. I found a 25' one at a local trailer supply place here and paid just over $100. Might be worth checking into...

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Steve when we upgraded to a 5th wheel trailer for our seasonal site I had to buy a 50 amp extension cord to reach the pedestal. I found a 25' one at a local trailer supply place here and paid just over $100. Might be worth checking into...

That is what I am going to end up doing. I just thought that making one I would get better quality and it should come out cheaper than a buying one made. I just noticed the TSC store has the welder 25' extension on sale for $70 so I'll pick one up tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor