welding axle tube to center unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
i watch a video on youtube last night that seem to suggest by welding the axle tube to center pumpkin is a way to help strengthen a 7.5 with a posi to support a modest hp engine. does anyone have opinion on how true this is i guess this will help guys like me that dont need a 8.5 or 9 in

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Do it. Axle tubes are pressed in, and usually held in place with a "plug" weld to help keep the tube in place. Welding them will increase rigidity. Add a rear cover with main cap supports, and your 7.5" will take 400 hp, unless you run slicks. I've put 475hp to one (no slicks), but that's pushing it...

Reactions: 1 users

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
Do it. Axle tubes are pressed in, and usually held in place with a "plug" weld to help keep the tube in place. Welding them will increase rigidity. Add a rear cover with main cap supports, and your 7.5" will take 400 hp, unless you run slicks. I've put 475hp to one (no slicks), but that's pushing it...

thanks for feedback i will. i have gotten a lot of good feedback from number of my post, i would like to thank everyone for your advise if i hadn't before. the car is a mild built 455 that's going to be daily driver. i think two black line on the pavement looks a lot cooler than one.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor