Welding PSA: DON'T DO THAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Deputy State Fire Marshals say a 45-year-old man suffered from burns and traumatic injuries after he attempted to weld a 100-gallon portable fuel tank to the rear of a flatbed truck. Authorities say the vapors within the tank exploded, which led to the victim becoming engulfed in flames and throwing another employee, who was on the rear of the truck, to the ground.

Bystanding employees witnessed the incident and discharged a portable fire extinguisher on the victim who was welding. Officials report the 45-year-old man was airlifted to Johns Hopkins Bayview Burn Center and remains in critical condition.

According to investigators, approximately 20-gallons of off-road diesel fuel was inside the tank when it exploded. Detectives continue to investigate this incident.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Dumba$$

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Strange that diesel went off like that?
The issue with diesel, or any heavy oil (distillate), is that once it goes off, the fire bomb is 10-20 times worse than a gas explosion. Gas explosions are fast and go out, distillate explosions just won't stop once they are started.

Gas knocks you down, burns the hair off from you, makes your ears hurt and will be a memory a year later. #1 or #2 fuel will remind you every day for the rest of your life of your mistake and/or stupidity unfortunately.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
He should have lookEd Inside the tank first with a Bic lighter to see if it was empty. :sneaky:

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Back in the day when I was young and broke (the 60's) I fixed my gas tank. The first thing I did was take it to the quarter car wash and wash it out the best I could. Then filled it with water leaving an air pocket where the fix was being done. I then ran the exhaust from a car into the neck which I was fixing. Before even trying to fix it I ran the torch across several times with my arm extended and head turned the other way. Really not a thing to do and would NEVER recommend it. Caulk it up to young and dumb and not worth it.

Reactions: 1 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
This kind of sh*t is exactly why I was scared to fix the trunk pan in my Caprice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor