Welding Tips and Tricks.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
If you don't know how to weld, go take a night class and learn. I spent $185 for two nights a week for two months IIRC. Best money I ever spent...

Reactions: 10 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Use good brand name welding supplies such as welding rodx and MIG wire. Invest in a auto darkening helmet.

Reactions: 5 users

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
There is nothing wrong with taking classes to learning how to do somethings the right way! Next is getting and using the right equipment BUT do NOT scrimp on your helmet...spend a little more money in this area. Lastly, practice practice practice! The more you weld and get to know your equipment AND your own tendencies, you will find you'll get better. Good luck!

• Agree
Reactions: 8 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Kick off of a welding knowledge and help thread. Maybe show off your projects and gear or just ask for some help.
I didn't do the welding myself, but I assisted my bodyman when he needed it.

My tips are, wear your helmet because he didn't years ago and as a result lost his chance to drive trucks. And also, make SURE you have somebody on fire watch like I was, because my Pontiac could have burnt up while we were doing the floor pans and frame rail. Yes, it's pretty scary to be under the car trapped basically, and your head right next to fuel lines and an oil pan with sparks flying at you- but it's required to ensure those sparks aren't out of hand.

Heres the photo's of my frame rail, with the crack in it, and after with the bar of steel welded in.
cr1-png.169116

cr2-png.169117

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Hi,

I'm Mike, and I like flux core.

awkward tropic thunder GIF

• Haha

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Use a sensible amount of safety gear for what you are doing. Hood, hat, gloves, jeans and closed toe shoes are the minimum. Denim shirts are helpful. I like Dickies brand.

Don't be like the fools on TV in shorts and sandles, with no hood, just closing their eyes.

• Agree

39F

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
Start with simple projects, be consistent with the movements you are making when laying a weld down,get yourself familiar with the equipment you are using bon versions thickness metals, lots of really great deals on used equipment, if you buy a auto darkening spend the cash on a nice one your eyes will thank you

Reactions: 3 users

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
Some fiberglass mats to cover/protect your interior and glass cause sparks are hot and they catch and smolder and can melt into your windshield ,rear glass

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Be sure to play with your rod... a lot.

PXL_20210420_221402953.jpg

• Indifferent

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor