Welding - What to Unplug

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have to do some welding on the GP. I'm going to disconnect the battery but I'm wondering if I should also unplug the Fast brain and the MSD box..... :popcorn:

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
these cars welding's it's not AS big of a deal vs anything made in the past 20 years but if it'll make you feel better unhook it all.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
General rule in the repair industry is disconnect battery and remove any electronics located within 12-18" of the area where welding or placing the ground lead (try to keep the ground lead close to work area)

We have one of those Antizaps at work, couple of the guys swear by it.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
For all of the welding I have done on my Monte I have just turned the kill switch in the trunk off.

Reactions: 1 user

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
By and large, the precaution of disconnecting the battery when welding is to NOT trigger any airbags.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor