Welp, its time for my build thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jshock

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2013
Port Orchard, WA
So, a little history first: This car came into my family straight off the floor. I inherited it from my grandpa, who was the original owner. Its a 1979 Elcamino, nothing fancy just the base model..Unfortunately I dont have any great pictures while it was still in good shape. It was practically pristine (minus the dash) until I went to college, I left it with my folks and a drunk driver hit it in colorado: took out the entire driver side from head to toe. Since then, I started attemping to restore it, I spent the 3 grand insurance shelled out for body work to fix the rear QP, but all they did was cut it out, rollpan it, and put it back with like 3/8" bondo. Its teriible and cracking and falling off. :puke:
It started off with a V8 4.4L 267CID, Dualjet carb. I replaced the carb and intake with some Edelbrock stuff. At 320K the engine threw a rod. Time for a rebuild:. Then I spent some time racing thie car, highly modded 355 with a 250shot nitrous and posted an 11.02. Sold the engine so I can restore the car and make it a daily driver. Started with a 355 build: Found out it had a bad crank...got one for 110 Scat Forged sitting at a machine shop that the guy never paid for a year back (Sweet!!). Next was to finish the engine and paint work:

Attachments

• 1st 350 Attempt.JPG
    1st 350 Attempt.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 1,194
  • Installed Pistions, Bad Crank.jpg
    Installed Pistions, Bad Crank.jpg
    549 KB · Views: 1,180
  • Heads Installed- Passenger Bank.JPG
    Heads Installed- Passenger Bank.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,195
  • IMG_0187.JPG
    IMG_0187.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,168
  • 100_0174.JPG
    100_0174.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,195

Jshock

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2013
Port Orchard, WA
Waiting for camera to charge, and this story shall continue lol, anyways, Ive found a ton of inspiration from this site, Im glad I found it and joined up! So, thanks to all on here, and a special thanks to "79ratrod" for lots of help and links to buy some stuff!

Jshock

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2013
Port Orchard, WA
So after that install, I found out the head gaskets I used were terrible, and I blew the head gaskets on both sides (you can see pics on facebook). New machining, and a 750 edelbrock carb, leads to this bad mamma jamma at 435hp, 395ft-lbs..
Then gutting the interior, I modified the ductwork for a little hidden stuff later and started cutting out the floor to replace the damaged areas.. Ugh...header panels are in short supply and I cant find a good fender to save my life. Inside i am currently working on a custom dash, and sheetmetal door panels. Ill get this eventually...

Attachments

• IMGP0484.JPG
    IMGP0484.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,141
  • IMGP0482.JPG
    IMGP0482.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,146
  • IMGP0483.JPG
    IMGP0483.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,136
  • IMGP0477.JPG
    IMGP0477.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,168
  • IMGP0478.JPG
    IMGP0478.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,135

Jshock

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2013
Port Orchard, WA
So nothing new to note on here but I am going tomorrow to get a new header panel and driver side fender (maybe a posi rear if they have one.) I borrowed a buddy's paint gun so I'm gonna strip her down once he new pieces are in and repaint. Going with a matte black till I can afford a real paint job haha.

Jshock

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2013
Port Orchard, WA
Oh and during the gutting process I stumbled across the original RPO build sheet. I'm gonna take a pic and post it tomorrow. It disentegrated when I found it so I had to put it back together like a puzzle. Unfortunately it's still missing a couple pieces

Jshock

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2013
Port Orchard, WA
So after a greuling battle with the fender Ive got it done. It looks good except the gap at the door seems too large on top and not wide enough on the bottom...But the door clears and the hood shuts like normal now so I guess oh well! The header panel was in great shape except for some small paint issues but its gonna get painted anyways... I gotta change the headlight springs and get a new light retaining ring. I also found out that both turn lamps were cracked where they mount at the top and it didnt have marker lamps on either side so im in the market for some of those!! Anyways...time for pics!

I also managed to score both the LH and RH headlamp bezles in mint condition! (The best part was the junkyard threw it in for free with the header panel.)

Attachments

• IMGP0485.JPG
    IMGP0485.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 949
  • IMGP0486.JPG
    IMGP0486.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 956
  • IMGP0489.JPG
    IMGP0489.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 944

Jshock

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2013
Port Orchard, WA
So small update. I'm waiting on a bunch of parts to come in. But I have all new lights and trim for the front end and I scored new bed trim for 20 bux at a swap meet. I ordered plastic projection lenses for the fronts so I can get a brighter bulb in there too. Dash is all reassembled but not painted yet and I'm waiting on an 81-88 style dash cover but its aking forever. Still need to weld in new floor pans and diag the leak from I'm assuming the heater box. Then off to paint!

Jshock

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2013
Port Orchard, WA
Okay I know I need pictures up but I've made some progress as far as the front end. I copied 79ratrod and tinted the marker lamps and turn lamps and I am using white bulbs instead of amber. I also bought the "HALO" brand H4 lights and harness. I am in process of building a custom grille and I've yet to install it all. Second I have started cleaning up all the rats nest of wiring behind the dash. And thirdly I purchased a complete TPI system (minus PCM and harness) to go fuel injected. It came with ported lower plenum and runners and a 52mm throttle body. I bought 24lb injectors for it instead of the 19#. I just need to scrap up some $ and hit the yard I found a harness and PCM for 60bux

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor