Went to the Junkyard today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
It's been a couple months so I decided to Jag over the the Junkyard and see whats new:

There was a 1981 Grand Prix that I may come back tomorrow morning and grab the front drivers fender:

20170819_125910.jpg

Other interesting stuff in the yard. A reminder to be careful when working under the cars:
20170819_124944.jpg

Looks Like the wheel to wheel welds may have failed on one of their stands...

20170819_124938.jpg

and a GP fell over into the car next to it. I didn't check close to see if there was a body crushed between the two cars, I just kept moving.

Envoy (American Eagle) was junking some Mechanics Ranger Pickups. Looks like Just the thing for feeding an elk or buffalo herd (or your pet Rhino) or to give a Ranger a fighting chance in some Demo Derby action:
20170819_124302.jpg

This is the second SHO I have seen in this Junkyard this year:
20170819_124804.jpg

The SHO was a few cars away from a 1975 Lincoln 2dr with a 100% complete 460. Hopes someone finds it in the next 2 months before the crusher comes.

And this was the Prize of the Yard:
20170819_124005.jpg

Now I'm pissed I didn't come here over Memorial day and went to the battery stealing side of DFW. Somebody snagged a steel crank 906 head 1970 440 4bbl for about $300, but this was the most amazing thing:
20170819_123958.jpg

Vacuum hose to the Decklid and...

20170819_123950.jpg

Vacuum operated power Trunk Latch. I wonder if the car was junked because all of the vacuum leaks from the cracked, 47 year old hoses made it run like crap.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Coolio.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Was there a GP frame brace on the GP?

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Other interesting stuff in the yard. A reminder to be careful when working under the cars:

Dipshyts go into the LKQ yards around here thinking its funny and tip cars off the stands. If they keep it up it will ruin the pick your part experience for everyone. Not cool.....

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Was there a GP frame brace on the GP?

If I go back tomorrow I will look. I knew I forgot to check for something. The Lower half of the V6 Radiator shroud was still there. My cars have electric fans so I'm used to just looking into the bay and seeing the bars.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Day-um. I am insanely jealous.

Went back to junkyard today, talked to a guy who works there(he is a parts puller that pulls parts for a fee) and said it was like ants crawling all over the car to pull the 440. He didn't understand the big deal until I told him what it was then got to feeling bad he didn't pop the hood to see what it had. I think I might have ruined his day.

I did pick up the Vacuum trunk latch and Button for $10. I just checked on E-bay and a Mopar guy wants $150 just for the latch. I figure I'll hook up the mitivac and see if it works and put it on Ebay for $100.
20170820_084809.jpg

The car did have the GP bar, I did grab that and the radiator X brace which I need to put on my 2+2, The drivers fender was in really good shape so now I have a nice rust free extra fender that was only $35.

While I was unbolting the fender I hear the constant cutting of metal, then two guy emerge dragging the floor pan of a truck. I walked over to check it out and found ANOTHER car that should have been sold on craigslist and not to the junkyard:
20170820_115523.jpg

Not many 100% Rust Free K5 Blazer Tubs out there. I'm sure these guys would have prefered to buy the whole thing and not saw the floor out in 95 degree heat.

Over by the blazer I found this to be sad:

Cool '66 Chevy pickup minding its own business then POOM! rear ended by a semi:

20170820_115537.jpg

20170820_115546.jpg

Truck arms...hmmm... now I want a '60's pickup.

85grandprix

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2017
I'm surprised no one pulls the grand prix grilles. I would think those would sale for decent prices! or since there are no aftermarket ones maybe they could be modded. just a thought!

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I'm surprised no one pulls the grand prix grilles. I would think those would sale for decent prices! or since there are no aftermarket ones maybe they could be modded. just a thought!

Though the header panel and grill weren't bad on this car, there was a family of wasps living on the grill so it was hard enough to get the fender, radiator brace and GP bar.

While I'm working under the car, a guy walked by and said "I think I saw a wasp fly into the grill". I said, "yes, they are about 6 inches from my hand, a whole nest of them"

These must have adapted through evolution not to attack wrenching arms.

My one b*tch with the header panels is who uses and 11mm socket for anything. Of course I didn't have one so I'm using a wrench to reach up into the darkness to turn the nuts 1/36 of a turn at a time. My grip is completely gone.

85grandprix

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2017
Though the header panel and grill weren't bad on this car, there was a family of wasps living on the grill so it was hard enough to get the fender, radiator brace and GP bar.

While I'm working under the car, a guy walked by and said "I think I saw a wasp fly into the grill". I said, "yes, they are about 6 inches from my hand, a whole nest of them"

These must have adapted through evolution not to attack wrenching arms.

My one b*tch with the header panels is who uses and 11mm socket for anything. Of course I didn't have one so I'm using a wrench to reach up into the darkness to turn the nuts 1/36 of a turn at a time. My grip is completely gone.

oh man! lol I'm not a fan of wasp at all. so I understand why you didn't pull that grill lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor