Were F41s the only cars to come with factory rear sway bars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Were F41 cars the only cars to come with factory rear sway bars? And is it true that if you got a rear sway bar from the factory, you also got a larger front bar? Any wisdom on this topic appreciated.

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Re: Were F41s the only cars to come with factory rear sway b

I would say that yes if the car came with a rear sway bar then they also upgraded the front sway bar. They also put jounce bars on the car. Some cars got inner fender braces and or core support x-braces. Unfortunately, I haven't seen many regals with these upgrades. Fortunately though, they bolt right on regals for an inexpensive handling upgrade. If you cannot find these at the yard, I have all of the pieces. I have sold a lot of F41 parts on this site for almost a couple years and never had any problems. Timo22

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

My Monte came with the F41 package but I have had other Gbodies that came with a rear sway bar but both the front and rear bars were smaller than the F41 bars.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin

Good Evening Guys; Don't forget the 9C1 (cop cars) mine has 1-1/4" front and 7/8" rear anti sway bars. I would guess that these were the biggest bars from the factory. Has any one seen larger? Check out my 1979 Malibu 9C1 for sale thread. I'll try to post a picture of the rear bar, I previously posted a picture of the front bar. Are the F41 bars 1" front & 3/4" rear, what diameter are they? Bob Jr.

Nov 4, 2012

I ask because I just bought a stock rear sway bar, and I'm wondering if I should buy the front one off the car too. What is the diameter of front sway bars on cars that did not have rear sway bars? And are the stock bars I bought F41 bars?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

I sold my originals years ago but I believe the front F41 was 1.25" diameter and the rear might have been around 7/8" diameter.

Nov 4, 2012

Ok, can I use an F41 rear sway bar with a standard front sway bar?

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana

I'm almost positive that only the f41 cars had the rear sway bar & they also had the thick front sway. Yes, I would grab the front sway bar off the car too. The F41 front sway bar is 1.25 in thick & the regular front is 7/8. You can just tell by looking, the F41 Front bar looks huge compared to the standard One. You will have handling improvements with the larger front bar, I changed mine & could tell a reasonable difference. The rear sway bars are 7/8, although I've heard Monte SS rear bars are even thicker. I've never actually measured my SS rear sway bar though.

Nov 4, 2012

Hmm, thanks for the info Evan. This is all pretty interesting to me. When I get the bar, I will be sure to measure the diameter. I believe it was off a monte, but not a monte SS. The front bar is already gone on the parts car, so I will have to find another front bar. Will I be able to bolt the new F41 rear bar on my car with the standard bar on the front for now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor