What 3.5 Dash Speakers Fit 1986 Olds Cutlass Supreme?

Status
Not open for further replies.

synoptic12

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2012
U.S.
I did not find a viable forum to post this thread, so I entered under 'Model Specific'. To begin, I have been searching for 3.5 speakers to fit for many years: MB Quart, Infinity, JBL, Pioneer, Sony, Audison, Audio Frog, Morel, Focal and others. Have any replaced the fronts (3.5) with a quality speaker 'that fits'? I believe the depth is 2" inches. There is also the issue of the tweeter protruding on aftermarket speakers; not allowing the grills to seat properly. I've taken them out so many times I cannot remember, only as to keep replacing with a 25w rms speaker, if that. Looking for at least 50w rms. Also, are base blockers essential, as some high end 3.5's provide them. I really hate clipping or distortion.

If any have delved into this area or have knowledge, please provide all input to the aforesaid. All replies welcome. Thanks very much.
*Sample pic enclosed.
Speaker-KICKER 3.5..png

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I put Rockford Fosgate in the dash of my Cutlass years ago. They were great speakers, but they need to be replaced. I'll try to get the model # in a bit since they're on my toolbox.

Reactions: 1 user

synoptic12

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2012
U.S.
I put Rockford Fosgate in the dash of my Cutlass years ago. They were great speakers, but they need to be replaced. I'll try to get the model # in a bit since they're on my toolbox.
* Thanks. If you could provide the specs, it would be useful. Did they fit without any problems?

Huen79H/O

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2018
I just bought a pair of $25 speakers off Amazon and had to bend the bracket up to make them sit lower and remove the tweeter grill to make them fit they sound good but I have the factory 8 track player in mine

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
If you're looking at high end speakers, then you should know that a 3.5" in the dash, firing off the windshield, or on different planes, would be a waste of money.
Or, are you just trolling for opinions again? I hear Ford makes a nice 3.5; maybe Tasca can install them for you.

• Happy
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

synoptic12

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2012
U.S.
I just bought a pair of $25 speakers off Amazon and had to bend the bracket up to make them sit lower and remove the tweeter grill to make them fit they sound good but I have the factory 8 track player in mine
Thanks but I do not have a factory 8-track. I do still have the Craig 8-track powerplay though.

synoptic12

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2012
U.S.
If you're looking at high end speakers, then you should know that a 3.5" in the dash, firing off the windshield, or on different planes, would be a waste of money.
Or, are you just trolling for opinions again? I hear Ford makes a nice 3.5; maybe Tasca can install them for you.

I can understand why I blocked you before due to your demeanor. I'm well versed in the electronics arena, no need to move further. In fact, I did configure (2) 4 ohm 3.5's in parallel providing a 2 ohm impedance and the speakers sound fairly good (Mono not Stereo). The staging was not the best but I presented a 4 ohm load to the rears and used the fader control to adjust imaging. This is in no way a 'waste of money' as you state. Please do not reply to any more of my posts with your bitterness which is clearly evident.

• Haha

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
You can ignore it if you'd like, but here are some cold hard facts about 3.5" speakers in the dash:
-The driver's side is too close to your ear
- A 3.5" speaker will only produce quality sound down to about 300Hz on the spectrum (hence the need for "base" blockers,aka: passive high pass filters)
- Power doesn't blow speakers- people blow speakers.
The tweeter needs to be flush with the top of the frame, and that cannot protrude too far above the mount screw heads.
-The factory speakers were full range, dual cone, 10 ohm. Any coaxial speaker will appear to sound better because the highs will be more crisp.
-The magnet size is more or less irrelevant because you're still moving a 3.5" cone. A bigger magnet will handle distortion for a longer period of time, but the speaker will still blow.
EDIT: Another thing that's been bugging the hell out of me- how can you possibly have any kind of soundstaging by wiring the front speakers in mono?!?!?! The perception of a soundstage is created by the stereo coding- different information coming from the left and right sides. PLEASE DO NOT HEED ANY OF Synoptic's "advice"!!!! You will waste money and be sorely disappointed with the results.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor