What Air Filter/Kit for LS Swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnIL

Greasemonkey
Sep 9, 2020
Central Illinois
I'm gathering parts for a 5.3L swap into a 1983 El Camino. The engine did not come with an air filter, air box, or air intake tube. I know I could do something as simple as clamp a filter right onto the throttle body. But, for not a whole lot more money, I could add a quasi cold air kit. Any suggestions or examples from those of you have already done an LS G-body swap? Thanks!

John

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Just build one to fit your engine bay. I have about $75 tied up in the filter/velocity stack and aluminum tube.
IMG_20201001_074725_996.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

JohnIL

Greasemonkey
Sep 9, 2020
Central Illinois
Just build one to fit your engine bay. I have about $75 tied up in the filter/velocity stack and aluminum tube.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of starting with this kit. It's cheap and it comes with all the parts I would need to bash something together. Once it's together, it might be worth replacing the filter with something higher quality. Thoughts?

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Just build one to fit your engine bay. I have about $75 tied up in the filter/velocity stack and aluminum tube. View attachment 162396
My set up is very similar to yours right now. Have you ever considered cutting a hole in the inner fender and putting the filter below it? I’ve seen it done and it makes sense

Reactions: 2 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of starting with this kit. It's cheap and it comes with all the parts I would need to bash something together. Once it's together, it might be worth replacing the filter with something higher quality. Thoughts?

Um. That looks totally worth $38 + shipping. The Filter venturi design is about as ideal as you can get. I'd pay $38 just for a 6" to 3" (vs 4") filter venturi like that.

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
My set up is very similar to yours right now. Have you ever considered cutting a hole in the inner fender and putting the filter below it? I’ve seen it done and it makes sense
Yeah I thought about it, that was actually the original plan. However, after talking to the engineer at K&N he showed me flow rating stuff that it really doesn't make a difference. As long as the filter isn't directly behind the radiator, that's the main concern. When sitting at idle, everything will heat soak no matter what, but once moving the air can't flow backwards.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor