What are they worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

csstrux

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2017
OK, so a 78-81 Malibu's are one of the halo cars for me since highschool. I have seen numbers all over the place on these things and have mostly ignored them since I never had the money when I saw a nice one. Well now I may have an opportunity to get a good one. I could use some direction as to a fair price as this is one my father built for my mom, but is a bit more than a handful to drive so he is thinking about pulling the driveline and rolling stock and selling the chassis. It will come on rolling stock, fresh paint, body and interior, rear seat cushion being the only part retained. Manual bench seat car, aftermarket gauges. Powder coated frame, poly bushings for body and undepinnings. This thing is DONE. Drives like new, just a bit of a beast and somewhat unforgiving. BBC/M20-21? not sure what trans is in the car, and not worried about it as it isn't part of the deal. He bought it better than a decade ago, and I haven't been following these as I have several other projects on my plate which I will be offloading for this one. I do not have pics, but vanrah has seen the car and can attest to it being right. Neither of us know what the going rate is right now so any thoughts as to a fair price are appreciated.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
The definition of a good deal is if everybody is happy. It is really hard to say what these cars are worth as it depends on obvious condition, betterments and such. This is where your negotiation skills come in and in the end...what is it worth to you and how bad do you want it. I really do not think there is many(any?) of us that have these G bodies to make money.
It makes me happy to tinker with mine, discuss with the guys on this forum and drive.
I am king of my El C and proud of the kingdom if you know what I mean

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

csstrux

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2017
That is kind of the issue with this situation. The car being my fathers, I am in somewhat an inverse situation here. I want to make sure he is getting what the thing should pull on the open market. Which is why I am seeking others input.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Figure out what it would cost you to bring another one up to the condition this one is in and use that as a valuing tool. It's really hard to put a price on a roller

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Sadly, rollers sell for about 1/2 you think they are worth. I had an original 440-4bbl 'Cuda, plum crazy purple, one of 618 built in '70, interior was perfect, doors opened and closed like butter, body was rust free and never wrecked. I had a built '70 440 short block with the best parts that just needed to be assembled, but I got a job across the county as was building a new house so I had to live in apartment for a year, so I had to get rid of it. Finished '70 cuda440's with non matching motors were selling for over $40K at the time, but nobody wanted to give me $10K for it.unfinished.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
That is kind of the issue with this situation. The car being my fathers, I am in somewhat an inverse situation here. I want to make sure he is getting what the thing should pull on the open market. Which is why I am seeking others input.

Unfortunately sentiment does not add value. I get it though. I went shooting last Saturday and saw a really sweet square body Chev pick up with a guy I kinda know driving it. I walked up and looked at it and the truck was all there. We started talking about it and it had been his Dad's but went through a couple owners than he was able to get it back. Little easier in a rural area like I live in

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
For a really good roller needing nothing I'd figure maybe $2500 to $3000... that means it still has rear and driveshaft, mint interior, good paint and no rust. Brakes/radiator/etc all intact.

Should be a drop your engine and trans and drive. Maybe add a battery, but nothing else needed except coolant/fluids.

Some people sell a roller but robbed the radiator, or driveshaft, or brake parts, or put junk rims/tires on, etc... that should be deducted for.

As said above, a roller probably sells for 1/3 of what it would cost to build.

• Optimistic
Reactions: 2 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
The valuation of G-Bodies is in kind of a weird place right now. Some of them go for crazy money (mostly GNs & GNXs). The rest are all over the map. I agree that $2,500-3,500 is fair for a clean, complete roller or even a decent runner. Super-cherry garage finds, I'd say $5,000-10,000. Again, it's kind of subjective, and dependent on how much the buyer wants to pay.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

David.C

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2012
⬆️⬆️⬆️ What he said. I would also add that where you are located plays in to the price too. A rust free car in Texas is not uncommon, but a non roached interior is hard to find. The sun eats up plastic down here.

• Agree

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
You’re in a weird place with a roller. Say you’re buying an 8 second drag car complete. Without the drivetrain it’s not an 8 second car anymore. So as bad as the car WAS with the engine and trans, it’s not much but some parts on a stock body.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor