what are you doing to keep your ride from being stolen this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
spring is finally here and I finally got the cutlass finish enough where I can drive it daily. now I'm wondering what I need to do to keep it from getting stolen. I get a lot of compliment on the car so I know it stands out. my plan are to get a really good alarm system, kill switch for the car and motion security system for the house. I'm also think of buying the booth, if it work for law enforcement it can't hurt. I don't want to put it in storage and go get when I want to drive it. so just wondering what some of you guys that has been at this for a while are doing to protect your ride.

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I live in the country and have decent insurance.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Depends on the thief’s m.o. If you’re trying to stop a tow truck/roll off from taking it, then put it inside. If you are trying to stop someone from starting it, then that is easily resolved by a relay under the hood and a manual toggle switch in the center console, glove box, under the dash, in trunk, you pick. If you want to get really crazy, then put in two switches inline for the relay trigger.

Lastly, move somewhere else.

I opt for moving, but I know that’s not an option for most.

Reactions: 1 users

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
Depends on the thief’s m.o. If you’re trying to stop a tow truck/roll off from taking it, then put it inside. If you are trying to stop someone from starting it, then that is easily resolved by a relay under the hood and a manual toggle switch in the center console, glove box, under the dash, in trunk, you pick. If you want to get really crazy, then put in two switches inline for the relay trigger.

Lastly, move somewhere else.

I opt for moving, but I know that’s not an option for most.

I'm with this. The best thing I think I'm doing it insuring my vehicle for at least $10k over what I think it would cost me to replace it.

Other than that, at home, and this is overkill, I take my home alarm motion sensors and put them in my cars. When I'm in for the night, I set the alarm to "home". If someone gets in the car, the entire neighborhood is getting up. Some of my interior lights flash, the porch lights flash, etc... I have have a gps tracker that I got from amazon which won't stop it from being stolen at all, but it will text my phone if it leaves a 50ft radius from wherever I set it. Then it's my choice if I want to call the police or just go get it (or attempt to).

Sometimes, it's just "luck". I lived in Livonia, MI....I parked my Monte Carlo outside of my apartment building for months and nobody ever touched it. Drove it almost daily. I moved to Redford, MI and someone stole my Durango out of my driveway in less than 2 weeks.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I remove anything of value that may get stolen. Then I don't even have to lock it up. So far nobody has even thought about messing with it. P1260555.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I agree with the above. If they want it bad enough, they'll get it.

mine stay locked inside. With how things, and the property, are arranged, well, if they can make it out  alive with one of the cars, well, then the heavy insurance kicks in.

that said, ive always tried to live in a decent area and most of the nearby neighbors (good and bad) are well aware of the hardware in the house that they'll face if they try to get one.

Nobody has tried in the past 20+ years.
I remove anything of value that may get stolen. Then I don't even have to lock it up. So far nobody has even thought about messing with it. View attachment 198042
That looks more like a 2nd gen fbody? Firebird?

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
If at home it's locked in my garage with my truck and my wife's car blocking the door. If I'm driving it I only stop at gas stations and car shows. I also have a manual transmission, turn the steering wheel all the way to one direction and use the parking brake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor