What backspace? Custom wheels being built - 88 Cutty

Status
Not open for further replies.

CuttyBang

n00b
Mar 28, 2016
Whats up guys! I'm getting some wheels built for the Cutty. I want to run a 15x8 wheel in the rear and a 15x6 wheel in the front. What backspace should i run? i read 4", i read 4.5" for the 15x8 in the rear. Which one is it? I'm planning on running a 275/60/15 tire in the rear without rubbing if possible. What backspace should i go with on the 15x6 wheel for the front? I currently have Eibach lowering springs. I read thru the 26 pages of the Wheel Fitment Guide thread and I'm still unsure : /

Any info, pics, or experience will be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
3.5"-4" for the rear on an 8" wheel is the best fitting and looking IMO. The fronts with that thin of a wheel I would try to do 3.5" or 4" as well. Anything more I feel would stick the front wheel in too far and not look good.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
have you checked the condition of the body bushings to make sure the body hasn't shifted?

CuttyBang

n00b
Mar 28, 2016
3.5"-4" for the rear on an 8" wheel is the best fitting and looking IMO. The fronts with that thin of a wheel I would try to do 3.5" or 4" as well. Anything more I feel would stick the front wheel in too far and not look good.

I think I'm gonna try 15x8 4"bs for the rear and 15x6 3.5"bs for the front. Thanks for all the input and advice!!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I helped a friend figure out what BS he needed in the rear. I took a laser pointer and put that on the drum pointing up.. Measured the distance from the inside wheel well to the lip on the fender. Noted where the laser light hit the measuring tape and then figured out what BS was needed to put the tire right in the middle of the opening. I measured both sides to make sure the body was centered and the rear end was centered.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I think I'm gonna try 15x8 4"bs for the rear and 15x6 3.5"bs for the front. Thanks for all the input and advice!!

Do a little double checking before you buy anything - with my 3.5 back spacing I have about 2 inches rim clearance to the frame, a 4.0 back space will leave me 1.5 inches. A 275-60-15 has a center section of 11.4 in or 1.7 in wider than the rim on both sides. With a 4.0 back space and a 275-60-15 tire it would hit the frame on mine.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor