What can I replace the blank in my instrument cluster with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I have the 1987 MC LS with the idiot lights. There is a blank with a Monte Carlo symbol on it where the SS has a Tach. Has anyone found a drop in gauge or clock or something that fits in this spot and looks factory? Can an SS tach be used here and if so how do I get it accurate with an 4.3?

Dixie Restoration Depot

Greasemonkey
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 24, 2016
Manchester, CT
A factory tach will bolt into the cluster, I can't speak to the original tachs but the new ones have an adjustable resistor on the backside of them so you can adjust it for a v6 car.

Reactions: 1 user

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
A factory tach will bolt into the cluster, I can't speak to the original tachs but the new ones have an adjustable resistor on the backside of them so you can adjust it for a v6 car.
What additional wiring is needed to make the factory one work? Am I correct that the circuit board currently in the cluster will not support it?

Dixie Restoration Depot

Greasemonkey
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 24, 2016
Manchester, CT
I just grabbed a new tach and a used cluster that I have kicking around. The idiot light printed circuit board has the power and ground that you will need but you will need to run a tach filter and the rest of the signal wire from the end of the filter to the stud on the back of the tach.

Reactions: 2 users

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I was looking at the tach filter on your site. What does that connect to under the hood since I do not already have a tach? Where do I tap in for it to work?

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
The factory tach had a little plug that would switch it from 6 or 8 cylinder readout. It will not read right if its a V8 tach and you hook it up to the V6 without changing that

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Tachs were an option on V6 cars also. I had one in my old 86 El Camino, difference between the delete plate is the tach with the stand it screws to, printed circuit board on the back and a white wire that may or may not already be in the harness behind the dash, and the filter that screws to the firewall.

Dixie Restoration Depot

Greasemonkey
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 24, 2016
Manchester, CT
I was looking at the tach filter on your site. What does that connect to under the hood since I do not already have a tach? Where do I tap in for it to work?
I may be wrong, but, I believe the tach output on your 4.3 comes from the white wire on the coil. The tach filter we have would still work but the ends would need to be changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor