What chevy small block crate should I swap in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
now that I acquired this 83 Monte SS , I am looking into fully dressed crate motors ... obviously putting a chevy small bloxk makes the most sense for ease purposes

So what makes someone choose to get a crate motor from one manufacturer or business versus another ?

I am leaning towards a 383 stroker but even those they range in hp from 390-500 and prices range from 4500-9k roughly

Proformanceunlimited is one of the manufacturers I am looking at they are located 5 minutes from my house apparently.

Then the usual summit and jets and then just random websites that come up when you google it

I did consider a ls swap but since I have a SS camaro with a cammed LS1 I want to go a different route and do a carbed chevy small block setup

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
It depends on your budget and goals for the car. I did a little looking and this looks pretty mean. I like the reliability factor of a new Chevrolet Performance Crate engine. I went with a much more sedate 350 horse 350 from Pace since my car will be a cruiser, but this looks pretty mean if you are looking at a 383....

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines/sp383.html

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I would look at the warranty coverage and the bang for the buck. Look up customer reviews and ratings to make sure your getting someone reputable. Proformance unlimited being close to you would certainly save on shipping. Hopefully you will get some members chiming in with some first hand experience.

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
Yeah I haven't had any time to do real research just did rough for negotiating the car's purposes..

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
What is your budget?

Get the most for your money. A 383 will respond with more gains from simple changes a like intake manifold swap or rocker arm ratio change.

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
What is your budget?

Get the most for your money. A 383 will respond with more gains from simple changes a like intake manifold swap or rocker arm ratio change.

not sure yet going to figure it out but figure 5k for a crate 383 stroker fully dressed but then every 500 bucks u spend bumps the HP/TQ up a decent amount until u end up at like 500HP and 7500 bucks.

I don't want to be cheap, get a motor, then wish i spent the extra to get a little more power.

my friend suggested pace performance ? going to take a look at them now and see.

would love for some people who bought crates to comment in here with where they purchased theres.

What I know is I am leaning towards a 383 stroker, I want a holley carb, no preference on intake manifold

Last edited:

86pontiac2+2

Greasemonkey
Jul 14, 2016
Might want to find a good 2 bolt main 400 SBC and use the 350 crank to build a screaming 377 for a lot less. 4 bolt mains have less material around bolt holes. These engines see 7000-8000 rpm all day.
Circle track racers love them.

• Creative
Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I would look for a crate with a one piece rear seal, roller cam, and vortec heads.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You haven't mentioned how you intend to use your car, but let's assume it will be a cruiser/tire burner. If that's the case, then 300-350hp is more than plenty IMO and it's much more budget friendly.

Of course it's your money, but some other things need to be considered when the HP approaches or goes beyond 350-400 : rear, transmission, torque converter, brakes and suspension. Your stock, or mostly stock components, will handle up to 350 hp for a long time in stock form. You can spend a pile of money upgrading the trans and rear alone. Again, maybe you have already considered these items, but maybe you haven't. Either way let us know, or at least consider everything that will need money.

Good luck - Jim

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor