What did you buy for your G body today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Scarborough:
did you replace it yourself are a glass shop. trying to find a company to take my cutlass to get a cracked windshield replaced

I had a local glass place come bye and install it. Luckily my friend knows the owner and got me a great price.

Reactions: 1 user

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
The new build to suite 2.5” stainless steel exhaust pipes showed up, decided to build my own system this time around. There are 4 long pipes, left the other two in the shipping carton. Going with the Pypes Turbo Pro welded stainless mufflers, will be ordering them in the near future. They are pretty quiet and no drone at speed which is what I want.
E8BB77DB-9103-4A60-8FD1-3090E3F8907A.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I went to the junkyard to get a knock sensor and harness, valve cover gaskets, 2 water pump bolts and an m90 for a friend. As im walking thru I notice a heavy duty gmc yukon. I Peak around the corner my suspicion was correct. L29 454/4l80 thats been in the yard since 9-28 , begging me to take her home. I mean begging. The front clip was gone. Exhaust cut. Driveshafts, transfer case and crossmember were gone. Basically just pull 2 motor mount bolts and go. For 400 bucks I probably can't lose so I'm going back to get it Tommorow after work. The ? Is should i abandon the ls swap and slam the big block in.

The real gem came in the car aisle. It's a Bonneville dash, so it has the clock and dummy lights.
20221009_222842.jpg
20221009_222828.jpg

No cracks in the dash. The bezel is broke down low tho. Tbh I've never really liked the look of that dash in a monte. Dont know why. But it was so nice I couldn't leave it behind. Also got the front fender braces. And a locking gas cap( that I just realized as I'm typing this. I dont have a key for)

Reactions: 1 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Everybody is putting LS's in everything to include Stangs! Yesterday's car show had an AMC Javelin with an LS with the Chevy Big Block adapted Valve Covers painted Chevy Orange, go figure!
Big Block It!

Cauterize

Floater of Valves
Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2019
Deathbridge
Everybody is putting LS's in everything to include Stangs! Yesterday's car show had an AMC Javelin with an LS with the Chevy Big Block adapted Valve Covers painted Chevy Orange, go figure!
Big Block It!
Speaking of LS Mustangs.
A guy locally is parting out his LS swapped SN95. Picked this LS F-body Radiator/fan combo for 150 bucks. Nice guy... He had a pretty cool Morris Mini in his garage as well. Says its his wife's car
I am miles away from even having my 6.0 ready to put together but, when a good deal comes buy you gotta jump on it.

Attachments

• 20221013_190227.jpg
    20221013_190227.jpg
    857.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 20221013_190410.jpg
    20221013_190410.jpg
    539.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Going to be building a new stainless steel H-piped, dual exhaust system for my Cutlass this winter and the mufflers I ordered came in today. Summit had the best price and free shipping, amazingly it took only 2 days to get them. The 2.5" stainless steel universal pipe kit, band clamps and SS welding wire came in last week. Going to side exit the tail pipes behind the rear tires, never cared for the straight out the back style on an Olds.

IMG_3547.jpeg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Just remembered this.

Wow. Never thought in a million years that I'd find an NOS dealership emblem from the place that sold my 84 H/O new. The original was potmetal, and cheaply chromed, so you know what the elements do to them, especially around North Kansas City, MO in the Midwest snow belt.

But I did finally find one.

Every now and again on ebay, I would do a search for a dealership emblem maybe in the hopes of scoring one in decent enough shape to use. Never expecting anything, piddling around on ebay one day last month and ran across a very nice one and it had its price slashed. So I bought it. When it arrived, I was very amazed to find out it was "NOS". Brand new, and never mounted. Yeah, there's a little very light pit spots on it, so it's not perfect, but for the most part, it's still brandy-new.

Here's a pic of the original owner shortly after buying my car new. You can see the emblem on the trunklid in the pic. It screwed on to the trunklid with those tiny little screws.

original owner 84 ho.jpg

When I got around to repainting the car, I had the holes filled where the screw holes were and car repainted without the emblem. The emblem was blistering all over and simply trash ugly by that point. So I tossed it.

My plans are NOT to drill holes in the trunklid again and mount with screws. Instead, I'm going to use double-sided tape, not sure which kind yet, and glue in some stainless screw heads with the rest of the screw threads cut off. To SIMULATE it being installed with screws.

I know it's something nobody cares about much, heck, I don't either. But these are the sort of details not too many people bother to mess with.

Some know this already, that I had saved some "NOS" James Oldsmobile plastic stick on emblems when I bought my 85 442 and re-made the front license dealer plate myself, along with some matchbook swag, which didn't come out as good as I liked, but will have to do. So when that car is completed, I can actually complete it.

NOS 85 442 olds dealer fobs.jpg

Original- a little worse for wear, should have got a new one of those too while I had the chance:
Original James Oldsmobile License Plate.jpg

Repro I conjured up:
Vinyl on Brushed Aluminum James Oldsmobile ad plate.JPG

my cheesy matchbook attempt. Fully functional book of matches.
85-olds-matchbook-prototype-3-jpg.191885

Oh, and while I'm squealing like a school girl, here is the "NOS" H.E. Miller emblem I scored recently (still need to get some small phillips head stainless screws for it):
HE MILLER Dealer Trunk Plate Emblem.JPG

Now if I could just find a Steven Oldsmobile-Cadillac, Elryia, OH, sticker/tag/whatever they used for the 87...

Reactions: 7 users

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Ended up having to buy a Edelbrock 600CFM Carburetor with Electric Choke from JEGS. Apparently the (Refurbished) Carburetor that I Bought from Amazon wasn't rebuilt correctly and spewing gas everywhere even from the Gasket not to mention a few other problems associated with the carb. Mechanic is about done with the Malibu but will be on a hunting trip for most of next week. I Got to turn the motor over today and it wants to start. Apart from Carburetor there are a few minor issues to take care of. It's almost done.

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
Full trick chassis 8.8 swap kit. I was going to order but found one local for for a nice $200 discount. New in box.

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor