James-Bond-Golden-Girl-555x344.jpeg

• Wow
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
So I managed to get a couple passes in last year before storing the car for winter
So my 88 Monte Carlo is basically a stock 305 with a tiny summit cam Edelbrock performer intake 600 Holly and factory super sport exhaust with catalytic converter 200r4 and 2.73 rear
Today I changed out the 273 gear rear for a factory SS 373 gear rear nothing else plan on running it again to see apples to apples comparison I’m thinking 3tenths

Attachments

• 4FF6E1E4-E43F-4A77-A3A2-46A970B1E7E2.jpeg
    4FF6E1E4-E43F-4A77-A3A2-46A970B1E7E2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
  • 9C444343-E828-4BB6-9A42-2AECF368DAF9.jpeg
    9C444343-E828-4BB6-9A42-2AECF368DAF9.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 84
  • B47E5513-0C58-4429-8CF0-226E06186431.jpeg
    B47E5513-0C58-4429-8CF0-226E06186431.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
Reactions: 8 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
In between ****ing bullshit forced overtime I've been plugging away at the regal.

Note the self clearancing header.
20210429_101344_HDR.jpg
20210429_111059.jpg
20210429_111106.jpg
20210429_111113.jpg
20210429_111148.jpg
20210429_111155.jpg
20210430_171214.jpg
20210502_082712.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Ready to
Fed Up Fire GIF
the Monte

Spent most of Saturday working on the Blazer, came home and worked on the Monte for another 6 hours or so being up until 130am trying to get it right. Since I had promised a kid I am helping at the gym I would take him to Cars n Coffee in it if he finally pushed himself at the gym for the week. He was really excited so I couldn't let him down.
Swapped out amps to get some extra room and use the bigger one in the Blazer. For some reason the trunk won't pop by either the popper remote or the button in the glovebox for a few weeks that I've noticed, I haven't messed with that at all other than to check that it had the wires still plugged at the switch. I was just trying to get the stereo back in and fit with that double din thinking since it was just an amp swap should be no problem. Turn the key on to test after getting it all together only thing working was the Sniper and air ride. Which meant the dome/under dash lights, Dakota digital gauges, and both head units were out.
Do a little digging to see what was going on, see that the ground right beside the stereo on the dashboard was cut clean off. Do some more looking around to see if I can find the other side of it and find what I thought to be it but was an old harder copper in the wire on the other side which I rough up to test and see it makes no difference. Dig a little futher to find another wire the same way with the same type of copper to the wire and connect them and seems to do nothing either. Also find a green wire with a ring terminal just laying back in there but find it really hard that it would come off something. Go down and check fuses found that it did blow out the bottom right 15 amp, replace that and everything comes back on. So solder that wire and put it back in the dash lower so that it won't get caught, have it all back in place to test again once the big head unit is in place since it has to be out for everything to go back in and it won't turn on. So take that back out to test and find out it blew the 15 amp fuse that it has, at that point use the last 15 i had around and as soon as I plug it in it pops. Do a little more digging to find now the box for the door poppers which was secure now has the black wire coming out of it free, but both door still pop so I am not even messing with it for the time being.
The thing I can't figure out for the life of me is that both head units are wired together with all the same wires, how is one popping but the other is not? My only thought was that one of the direct wires to that unit is cut somewhere but couldn't find anything. So finally gave up and put it all back together at 130am with only the Sniper to rely on, took it out yesterday and drove around most of the day in it with no gauges or stereo.
20210501_222324.jpg
20210501_233057.jpg
20210501_212647.jpg
20210501_204008.jpg
20210430_225133.jpg
20210430_220432.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Reactions: 6 users

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
Drove to Asheville and picked up an almost brand new set of hooker competition header from a guy on marketplace, Got em for 80 bucks.
20210503_165457.jpg
20210503_165501.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Ready to
Fed Up Fire GIF
the Monte

Spent most of Saturday working on the Blazer, came home and worked on the Monte for another 6 hours or so being up until 130am trying to get it right. Since I had promised a kid I am helping at the gym I would take him to Cars n Coffee in it if he finally pushed himself at the gym for the week. He was really excited so I couldn't let him down.
Swapped out amps to get some extra room and use the bigger one in the Blazer. For some reason the trunk won't pop by either the popper remote or the button in the glovebox for a few weeks that I've noticed, I haven't messed with that at all other than to check that it had the wires still plugged at the switch. I was just trying to get the stereo back in and fit with that double din thinking since it was just an amp swap should be no problem. Turn the key on to test after getting it all together only thing working was the Sniper and air ride. Which meant the dome/under dash lights, Dakota digital gauges, and both head units were out.
Do a little digging to see what was going on, see that the ground right beside the stereo on the dashboard was cut clean off. Do some more looking around to see if I can find the other side of it and find what I thought to be it but was an old harder copper in the wire on the other side which I rough up to test and see it makes no difference. Dig a little futher to find another wire the same way with the same type of copper to the wire and connect them and seems to do nothing either. Also find a green wire with a ring terminal just laying back in there but find it really hard that it would come off something. Go down and check fuses found that it did blow out the bottom right 15 amp, replace that and everything comes back on. So solder that wire and put it back in the dash lower so that it won't get caught, have it all back in place to test again once the big head unit is in place since it has to be out for everything to go back in and it won't turn on. So take that back out to test and find out it blew the 15 amp fuse that it has, at that point use the last 15 i had around and as soon as I plug it in it pops. Do a little more digging to find now the box for the door poppers which was secure now has the black wire coming out of it free, but both door still pop so I am not even messing with it for the time being.
The thing I can't figure out for the life of me is that both head units are wired together with all the same wires, how is one popping but the other is not? My only thought was that one of the direct wires to that unit is cut somewhere but couldn't find anything. So finally gave up and put it all back together at 130am with only the Sniper to rely on, took it out yesterday and drove around most of the day in it with no gauges or stereo.
View attachment 174465 View attachment 174466 View attachment 174467 View attachment 174468 View attachment 174469 View attachment 174470

Do you see the ironic parallel between the kid pushing through adversity, and you doing the same? ;)

Good on you for doing the positive influence/mentor/role model thing. I wish more people would. Too much selfishness these days.

Coaching little League and being a Big Brother in my mid-20s changed my life - right before/as I was joining the Army. Actually got to take my Little to the Armoury once (got him loaded up with cam paint and glow sticks) - not bad for a no-hook Private.

Reactions: 3 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Do you see the ironic parallel between the kid pushing through adversity, and you doing the same? ;)

Good on you for doing the positive influence/mentor/role model thing. I wish more people would. Too much selfishness these days.

Coaching little League and being a Big Brother in my mid-20s changed my life - right before/as I was joining the Army. Actually got to take my Little to the Armoury once (got him loaded up with cam paint and glow sticks) - not bad for a no-hook Private.
Hahaha, the kid doesn't push all that much. I am really trying to get him to understand it but we have the same chats every time about how he calls it pain or tingly at the end of a set and he stops instead of going to failure. He is really into cars and doesn't really have any other friends so hoping that me saying I will take him to all the car stuff I do if he pushes himself at the gym will help get him where he needs to be. I've always tried to be the put other people first but then usually gets taken as kindness for weakness which they later realize was a big mistake

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Hahaha, the kid doesn't push all that much. I am really trying to get him to understand it but we have the same chats every time about how he calls it pain or tingly at the end of a set and he stops instead of going to failure. He is really into cars and doesn't really have any other friends so hoping that me saying I will take him to all the car stuff I do if he pushes himself at the gym will help get him where he needs to be. I've always tried to be the put other people first but then usually gets taken as kindness for weakness which they later realize was a big mistake

I spent my early 20s getting over that psychological speed bump in the gym. I spent the early part of military career pushing my limits further, and eventually other people's too. I have always tried to set the example.

I have a simple saying for my kids (and soldiers) when they fall or falter:
Ask yourself - is it discomfort, pain, or injury?

It is natural to actively avoid these things. It is completely unnatural to actively seek out the first two. But, it is necessary. It's mostly in our heads - Western society has made us soft and make for every excuse not to be driven.

"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times."

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I spent early 20s getting over that psychological speed bump in the gym. I spent the early part of military career pushing my limits further, and eventually other people's too. I have always tried to set the example.

I have a simple saying I for my kids (and soldiers) when they fall or falter:
Ask yourself - is it discomfort, pain, or injury?

It is natural to actively avoid these things. It is completely unnatural to actively seek out the first two. But, it is necessary. It's mostly in our heads - Western society has made us soft and make for every excuse not to be driven.

"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times."
Yeah but I think mine and yours are much different than his, he is a big kid 6'2 probably close to 350lb so can become a monster if he wants to. The problem is that he quit football very quickly and has never pushed himself at anything from what I can tell. He says that he tries but then when I ask what he means by trying I would hardly even consider it any effort. He has had a very hard time passing his learners permit test, he says he tries but that is going out with someone once a week to drive. I tell him that if it was a real priority he would be studying that book day and night or least some every day. He says yeah but I don't see him doing it, it is pretty much all the same at the gym I had to start him with zero weight on anything because he just doesn't have it in him. Now after a month or so he was happy that he was bench pressing 95lb which is what he thought a strong girl at the gym does but she was only using it to warm up. I have told him all along that the weight you lift doesn't really matter as long as you are using correct form and pushing yourself until you fail so that you can work the muscle. But now he has tried getting into the faking it method of saying he is pushing himself, I keep telling myself that he will eventually get it but don't know that he will.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor