What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Not so much to my gbody, but FOR my gbody!

Started the process of removing my engine from the donor.

IMG_20211124_183244168.jpg IMG_20211124_200403727.jpg

Got most of the major panels out the way.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get closer to removing it.

Who needs turkey with the family?

Reactions: 3 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
You do. Y'all take a day and enjoy being with. Never know when you do get together if that will be the last time or there will be a next time. Apart from that there is about 12 solid hours of pro football scheduled, which is just about enough to drive any wife either nuts or catatonic. (Catatonic is good; it means they don't notice when you finish your meal and wander on back out to the scene of the grime and do some more dismembering work on your mechanical victim to prep it for surgery. Let's you avoid getting handed a dish towel and a stack of plates to dry)

Then there is the enjoyment of taking a frozen turkey and dropping it into a half full vat of boiling hot cooking oil suspended over a screaming propane stove!! I say half full because that is about all you need to do the job. Any more than half full and the contact between the frozen bird and the smoking oil equals instant explosion of oil all over everywhere, including the mad bomber who did the drop. (Good fodder for a bunch of You Boob videos)

All that pleasantry aside, your second pic shows the fenders, hood, and rad cradle still in place. They just sort of sitting there for now and the bolts are already gone or is just the hood going to disappear and the rest stay as is? Reason for all the curiousity is that it is far easier to slide the mill out with the sheet metal all gone than it is to try and schlep it out with the fenders et al still there to complicate matters. (It's also a shorter drop if the cherry picker or chain fall decide to glitch on you.

Happy Turkey Day!!

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
  • Haha

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
New spark plug wires, new HEI power plug, re-jiggered some of the underhood wiring with the understanding that I will add the appropriate relays and fuse block to make it look cleaner "eventually™". Considering going from the 160 thermostat back to the 192 thermostat, now that it is getting chilly. Also found that the gasket for the solenoid hole on the quadrajet had managed to swell and push itself out of place. The joys of corn gas. Also noticed that the top plate gasket is wet with gas all the way around it. Is there a fiber gasket that can go on and replace the cardboard one that is currently there?

Attachments

• 20211122_150827.jpg
    20211122_150827.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 58
  • 20211122_150832.jpg
    20211122_150832.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 57
Reactions: 1 user

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Looks like you may need the services of joesregalproject to cut that carrying case open to pull the drivetrain.

That's one of my challenges of removing it.

Plus it doesn't fit in my garage in it's current form.

IMG_20211120_120540341.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
remove the radiator support. then slide, drag, it out the front. people do it in the junk yard with seat belts for a sling and an A frame gantry crane. its not like your restoring the donor vehicle.

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
Replaced the whooped stock rear control arms with BMI tubular non adjustable ones. Man, I didn’t remember getting those bolts farthest from the axle housing on the uppers so hard to access. My hands got beat up.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
remove the radiator support. then slide, drag, it out the front. people do it in the junk yard with seat belts for a sling and an A frame gantry crane. its not like your restoring the donor vehicle.
The nose fits far enough in the door that I should be able to get the engine hoist on it and stay on the concrete floor. Then it's just fighting for the space to get the hoist over engine and lift it.

It's supposed to start raining after lunch, then drop into the 30's tomorrow. Sucks a little having the garage door open. Better than doing it outside the garage in the weather.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Working on freeing the wiring from this thing. Where am I safe cutting the harness and not cut something I shouldn't?

Thought I had it figured out but man it gets confusing once the wiring comes loose.

IMG_20211125_145918766.jpg

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Just be sure you mark/tag each connector so you know what device they go to. That way, when you have the harness lying on the ground to start sorting/cutting out what you want and don't want you ARE NOT guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor