What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I've been thinking about it. I need to look into a body bushing kit, I think a couple may be shot
I've used Energy suspension and the summit brand. Identical other than Energy suspension having better instructions.

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I've used Energy suspension and the summit brand. Identical other than Energy suspension having better instructions.
Nice. It's going to be one of them winter projects

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
DSCN3433.JPG

DSCN3435.JPG

So just a bit of time lag here as these were taken today but the work actually occurred yesterday.

This is the new/replacement inner door shell, aka, inner door skin?? that I elected to complete the rework on and then install. As can be seen, the rear edge of the skin follows the curve of the body more closely than its predecessor. There is still some deviation but that can be taken out once the door is loaded and reskinned. Some time whenever................

DSCN3437.JPG

Because the ex-door did close quite well once I adjusted the hinge/door relation a little, that is the starting point I have selected for the new door alignment. To ensure I can get back to that as a starting point if I take the hinges off to strip and repair the A Pillar, I used a 1/8th drill bit and created two alignment holes in both halves of the hinge. They go all the way through the hinge and into the pillar. I use 1/8th transfer punches as my alignment pins.

DSCN3446.JPG

DSCN3447.JPG

And for those who love to drool over the carnage, here are a couple of detail shots of the lower door sill flange in all its rusty nastiness. The thing to understand here is that although this looks terminal, there is enough potential under the rusticles that it can be salvaged. The worst area is actually the lower lip of the flange, mostly because it is so mis-shaped and warped. To a degree, this situation was deliberate; the original repairs were done as a field expedient exercise just to re-attach the outer skin to the shell and both regain structural integrity and deny access to the elements, rain, salt, et al. No attempt beyond cutting away the most severely damaged and decayed segments was made to address the majority of the internal rust. To properly do so would have meant dolng what I just did, and there was not budget, time, or place to do it all properly, plus I did not have the tools or replacement parts that would have been needed. It took a very long time to accumulate it all plus then construct a proper shop/garage in which to put it.

So, ask me if I am having "FUN" yet?? You might just be surprised at the answer!

Nick

Reactions: 3 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Took a run at the rusticles with an air saw and my 4.5 DeWalt. Got about half way there and started looking for some narrow width sheet metal. The flange is sort of okay at the ends but the curve in the middle apparently got mis-shaped at some point and is beyond reshaping. To get the curve put back in properly, the existing lower flange stump has to get cut away. From de-skinning the door, I actually have a thin section that is a bit too wide so it can be trimmed and about the right length so it may get a wee little bit of a shave to get its edges parallel then ????

Nick

81gutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2022
I took the frame off the body to start a full restoration!

Attachments

• 49B825B3-5408-42F1-ABE4-54F7ADF67089.jpeg
    49B825B3-5408-42F1-ABE4-54F7ADF67089.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor