What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Went another round with the old inner shell. Got some of the patch work cut apart so I could hammer it into a better degree of alighment with the existing edges. Looking at the door shell from the top leading edge you can easily see how badly deformed the lower flange is. Essentially it is one long concave bowl for about 75 percent of the entire length of the flange. What is going to have to happen is that, once I finish dealing with the front lower corner and cutting apart all the lap joints so I can recreate them as butt joints is that the lower shelf above the flange will have to be split, probably right along the bend, and then the drop can be lifted and tacked back into alignment. After that the entire flange itself will get ground away and a whole new one tacked on. Due to other projects demanding time, about as far as I will get with this is the tacks, or maybe the complete seams, then the whole shell will get stashed away for later. it is getting on towards rotation time again and I need to get the S-10 back in for its oil/filter change, as well as swapping out the summer tires for my winter treads. Snigger or chortle if you must but the weather up here has gone from weird to weirder and the long range the next few months is nothing but nasty, getting nastier and nastier as the days go by. My winter (gasp) shop time will be limited; heat costs and my lungs can't take too much cold any more.

The shell did express its displeasure at being assaulted by a grinder and cut off wheel by trying to amputate my right index finger using a thin strip of shrapnel as the razor. 3/4 inch 3M green masking tape makes a great pressure bandage!! The other tip is to have a styptic pencil handy. Normally used for shaver cuts, the stuff works just as well on messy bleeders. The active ingredient is aluminum sulfate which reacts with the blood to coagulate it. it is water soluble so you pour a little water on the stick and then "paint" it on the gash. When it starts to sting, you know it is working. Give it a couple of applications and let stand.

For how I got bit, what I did was to put a turn or two of the masking tape around the finger right over the slash to put direct pressure on the wound. Then I went back to exacting my revenge on the offending edge/panel.

After supper, I gently snipped the tape away and slathered a soggy layer of the styptic juice on the open edges of the gash where it was most likely to ooze or weep. Right now I am typing this, very gingerly, and using that finger to do so. For tomorrow, I will probably wind a turn or two of masking tape over the damage to keep it clean and keep the edges from catching a pulling apart. it will take about a week for it to get fully into healing mode; this isn't the first one of these that I have had to deal with. Body metal can be right vindictive for some reason........................

Oh yeah, before I was so heinously assaulted, I did manage to modify the window actuator mounting plate by tack welding some 1/4NC heavy hex nuts over the holes through which the rivets used to fit. The factory uses Cherry Q rivets and you pretty much need an air riveting gun to set them. Having the nuts permanently tacked into place means that I can use 1/4 NC bolts and that makes putting the actuator assembly back into the shell, particularly if I end up having to do it with the shell already hung and aligned, substantially simpler.

Nick

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I stuck my pointer finger on my right hand into the sheet metal of the door when my hand slipped off of the wrench tightening up the window regulator one day. That was a cut to the bone. Clean and superglue shut. We kept it in our med kits in Iraq for a reason, that stuff works.

Took about 3 months for the nerves to heal in the end of my finger.

Reactions: 1 user

81gutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2022
Started stripping suspension off the frame to continue the resto!

Attachments

• 18C71B1D-BC3D-483D-A240-E7C26CC42927.jpeg
    18C71B1D-BC3D-483D-A240-E7C26CC42927.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Pulled my intake tube the other day and color matched it to the car. Damn bug got stuck in the last coat of clear so I have to touch it up before this weekend since there is a big show here. It still looks way better than bare aluminum, that is until I concoct the real intake idea I have in my head.
20220918_153314.jpg
20220918_164206.jpg
20220918_165809.jpg
20220918_184147.jpg
20220918_192044.jpg
20220919_082413.jpg
20220919_202239.jpg
20220919_210958.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Have often given the Crazy Glue remedy some thought but wondered about the side effects if/when it got into the bloodstream. Having it as a kind of top layer to seal the edges closed would help. My blood is normally a lot more lethargic and slow to ooze but this time I must have gone down into the dermis and dinged a few of the tiny vessels. Right now the damage has improved to the point of just looking gross and nasty; too bad there are no little children to freak out. Snigger, snigger.

Nick

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
It's non-toxic and we carried it in med bags and used it in the field in some critical situations, so that should tell you something. I kept a little tube of it, tape, and a 4x4 pad in the back of my M16. The sling was the tourniquet if need be.

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Okay, good to know. I do have a first aid kit out in the shop but reasonably certain there is no crazy glue in it. My first aid training is totally obsolete and I am no longer in a position where it is necessary. My first thought was to stop the bleeding and direct pressure was the obvious choice. Just have to be careful not to impair the circulation.

Nick

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
+1 on the masking tape. it sits in the top compartment of my tool box, right on top of the ARP Taps and right beside the tape measure.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor