What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Those front springs have been in the car for 12 years. The rears are new and I'm hoping that drops a hair.

The settling bit isn't about the springs "breaking in", the only springs I've ever cut were used and both settled a bit after a drive.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
The settling bit isn't about the springs "breaking in", the only springs I've ever cut were used and both settled a bit after a drive.
I positioned the bottoms in the stops on the LCA so I'll be surprised if it gets lower.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Fans and amp are directly to battery, fans with a relay and 30 amp fuse. Amp has a mega fuse. The way I have the 4th gen Camaro ls1 (according to the guy I bought em from) fans wired is full beans by grounding the wires that would otherwise go to a fan switch. Unground them, fans slow down. Haven't had luck finding a fan switch. The battery negative is grounded to the block via an alternator bracket bolt that threads into the head.
You can buy a switch that threads into the head, intake or anywhere that has a coolant port. Use a large pin relay - pin 30 to the battery with a fuse inline, pin 87 to the fan 12v+, pin 85 to a 12v+ source that is hot only with the key on and running (not hot when cranking), and pin 86 to one of the switch wires. The other wire in the switch put to any ground source.

You buy the switches anywhere - Amazon, Summit, EBay, etc.

Reactions: 1 user

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
You can buy a switch that threads into the head, intake or anywhere that has a coolant port. Use a large pin relay - pin 30 to the battery with a fuse inline, pin 87 to the fan 12v+, pin 85 to a 12v+ source that is hot only with the key on and running (not hot when cranking), and pin 86 to one of the switch wires. The other wire in the switch put to any ground source.

You buy the switches anywhere - Amazon, Summit, EBay, etc.
This is how my fans are wired. Kicks on and off at a preset temp using a temperature switch in the intake and kicks on when the A/C turns on using another relay.

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I took some measurements with how this car is sitting right now flat on the garage floor.

The body corners behind the front tires to the body corners right infront of the rear tires:

Rear Higher 1"

Center of the front wheel well to center of the rear wheel well:

Rear up 3"

Wheel gap looks what it does because the rear wheel well is 2" taller in the rear. Body is 1" taller in the back on the bottom so when the new rear springs sag that will close that gap. Have to see what the wheel well does. It would be lower if I didn't have the 9" Rear, the axle tubes are bigger.

Last edited:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I bought a pair of the Holley RetroBrights and installed them in my Regal Today, I did have to trim the 4 tabs to fit with my modified headlight buckets from the previous LED headlights but other than that a direct fit. These have a very nice cutoff which was my biggest issue with the cheaper ones but still a lot of money for a pair of headlights.
20221125_172156_2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Wheel gap looks what it does because the rear wheel well is 2" taller in the rear. Body is 1" taller in the back on the bottom so when the new rear springs sag that will close that gap. Have to see what the wheel well does. It would be lower if I didn't have the 9" Rear, the axle tubes are bigger.
I have had the 2" drop UMI rear springs in the back of my Monte for over 10 years and they haven't changed ride height from the day I installed them.
My tires are 28" rear and 27" front, my front springs were stock SBC replacement but there is a BBC up front and also a Moser 9" in the back.

IMG_1473.JPG

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I’ve been reworking my exhaust because it looked far too low and found I bought the wrong shocks when I was setting this up initially:
02CF4453-4DA4-459E-A193-C7A51281DD1A.jpeg

C7792C13-2516-4C0C-B042-4332CD96CDC3.jpeg

Im not sure why the passenger side is lower than the driver’s, but I’ll check that when the car’s on a proper level. I need some lowering shocks, and I found in a couple old posts from pontiacgp that a set of Bilstien AK series should work.
9B7FCE88-FE6A-41DF-AF0E-D0136C0B3042.jpeg

But there’s a catch. While the part number still exists, the measurements have changed if Summit is to be believed:
F6FFBFE5-F749-488F-BF67-D03EBB62821E.png

So I’m at an impasse here. I can’t find a shock that fits the measurements from pontiacgp that’s the right type of shock for the rear of a G body, and I’m not thrilled at the prospect of going with a completely custom set from AFCO or similar with no knowledge of the valving in a performance shock.
Might give Vi-King a call later next week but I’m not prepared to spend up to $500 for two shocks.

• Sad

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I’ve been reworking my exhaust because it looked far too low and found I bought the wrong shocks when I was setting this up initially:
View attachment 211711
View attachment 211712
Im not sure why the passenger side is lower than the driver’s, but I’ll check that when the car’s on a proper level. I need some lowering shocks, and I found in a couple old posts from pontiacgp that a set of Bilstien AK series should work.
View attachment 211713
But there’s a catch. While the part number still exists, the measurements have changed if Summit is to be believed:
View attachment 211714

So I’m at an impasse here. I can’t find a shock that fits the measurements from pontiacgp that’s the right type of shock for the rear of a G body, and I’m not thrilled at the prospect of going with a completely custom set from AFCO or similar with no knowledge of the valving in a performance shock.
Might give Vi-King a call later next week but I’m not prepared to spend up to $500 for two shocks.

Looks like your jam nut is loose on your upper arm there, is that on purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor