What did you do to your G-Body today? [2011-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Gave thanks I no longer live in Dallas after reading the above by UNGN.

Honestly, I don't know how anyone does, housing is crazy expensive these days.

Used to be absolutely nothing north of where I lived, now the G Bush turnpike runs just a couple hundred feet from the parking lot and it appears to be built up nonstop all the way through Frisco and The Colony to 380

The tax appraisal on my house went up 29% this year from what THEY said it was last year at my tax hearing (less than 1 year ago). As many people as there are here, there aren't enough houses to put them all in and the market is crazy. The suburbs like Frisco, McKinney, etc. have no houses for sale because people are moving here from outstate AND fleeing Dallas to get away from the crime.

Dallas has hundreds of thousands of Acres where crack houses could be bulldozed and cheap houses could be built, but people don't want their *** stolen, so they moved to the suburbs.

Last night I took my 2+2 to get gas. Last time we drove it was our track day at Motorsports Ranch and my son thought he may have broke something. Off idle the rattling was awful but went away when the RPM got above 3000. This morning I crawled under it an saw a muffler crack, so I pulled the pipe to weld it. There aint no welding this:
20170611_124844.jpg
20170611_124854.jpg

Ten+ years of lift throttle backfires has taken its toll on the Heat Affected Zones of the welds.

I got the muffle cut off, time to go to Summit.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
That sucks I would have wanted to kill someone

Like I said I would have wanted to kill someone and not for the missing battery or the damage because they touched my car! I to live in one of those cities here in the people's republic of New Jersey were only criminals can have guns and if someone breaks in my house and I do what's right. .....I go to jail I'm not being political but don't get me wrong the system is broaken!
Move to Texas. Your house is your castle, and so is your car with you in it.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington
Productive day today! Reamed my new Moser axles for M12 studs and pressed them in. Got the axles installed, cover buttoned up, and filled the diff with Lucas 75/90.
Installed my short Bilstein shocks and Moog springs recommended by pontiacgp in an old rear suspension thread. Had to cut a full coil off the rear springs in order to mount the shocks.
The most satisfying part of today was firing the car up and testing out the new-to-me Zexel Torsen diff. I laid 5 pairs of equal length black rubber patches in my driveway. :cool:

20170604_174651.jpg

20170610_185837.jpg

Edit: a day behind here, I posted this in the wrong thread yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Repaired my IR T30 air compressor which has been broken for a month.

We picked up the new Boldar L1430T motor last weekend, and I spent the week tripping over it - I literally left it in the middle of the floor as a constant reminder that I needed to install it. I kept ignoring it (because I dread anything to do with household wiring) until today when my oldest daughter asked when I was going to inflate the splash pool (Natasha put her up to it). So guess what I did for about the next six hours?

I am really grateful that I spend a lot of time in the gym, because that made it pretty effortless getting the 80lb motors down and up 5+ feet off the floor.

What I am not grateful for is the motor starter I decided to add. This ate up most of the job trying to figure out how to get the damn coils to fire - Square D does not include instructions (probably a liability issue). Much smashing of my head was done over finding the correct order of wires. Thankfully I was saved by a redneck on YouTube who literally went from post to post (paint by number simplicity). Then I added a simple toggle switch, and now have ON/OFF capability - no more pulling the plug out of the wall for this guy! (at least until I need to weld something that is).

Compressed air, oh how I missed you. Even if it cost me a day of not wrenching on a car and playing with my kids.

Sure am going to enjoy sitting in the pool on the deck.

Reactions: 4 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Last week I bought the $75 Harbor Freight 3 ton jack and today I put it to the ultimate test... can you take off the passenger side Hooker Super Comp big block big header on a 502 with a wide sump road racing pan with a $75 jack?

The answer is yes. You have to take out the starter, of course, but if you get the car high enough, the header rotates 180 degrees and magically comes out.
header out.jpg

The reason the header had to come out was years of jumping paved over prehistoric sand dunes @145 mph in the Nebraska sandhills has taken its toll on my headers and the 2" pipes are crushed down to about 1" and I need to patch them and put on a skid plate - the old skid plate we welded on years ago is long gone.
smash header 1.jpg

header smash 2.jpg

I cut out the flats ...
20170611_174003.jpg

20170611_174133.jpg

And then opened them up and cleaned up and removed the external aluminide coating in the weld areas.

Summit has 2" mandrel bends for about $15, So I ordered some for patch material.
20170611_181258.jpg
20170611_181759.jpg
20170611_190202.jpg

Then I fit it and welded it into place with my $89 Harbor freight mig welder:
20170611_195902.jpg

Now I have to do the other tube and put on skid plate doublers while I wait for the new mufflers to arrive from Summit.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Went to (GSDPnP) Ghetto South Dallas Picknpull, the one I try to avoid because the cars are usually trashed by the morons that shop there. Took my lifted Miata because the parking lot is a mine field and it doesn't have a stereo, so no worries of it being stolen. Had good luck finding some homelink chrysler sun visors for my dad, some miata parts (including a rare open timing gear DOHC valve cover from a '91 capri) and a few Jag parts and a Flip down/stay down rear license plate off an '86 Camaro for the 2+2, I check out - $36 total -score.

After check out and walk the 25 feet from from the door to my car and I notice the trunk is popped... not good. I put my parts in the trunk and notice my battery has been stolen. My 4.5 year old, $89 new, probably worth about $25, now battry. ****ing ghetto hoodrats. Don't they know people get shot in Texas for crap like that?

My AAA card in my wallet expired May 26 and I didn't have the new one. I see the store manager coming out the front door and ask if there is a security camera. He says yes and no. There is security camera on the roof of the store and it is pointing directly at my car..but its fake... nice. He tells me to go inside and see if he has a battery on the shelf that will work. I grab the smallest one.

I carry the battery out to the car and notice they ripped the battery out of the car, taking most of the positive terminal with them. Great.

I dig in my tool bag (good thing I took the whole bag in the yard) and find some vice grips and clamp the cable to the post:
View attachment 68066

I laid the spare tire up against the battery as my new hold down, the miata started on the first crank and I GTFO the hood as quickly as 1.6L would allow.

Instead of cleaning the 2+2, I spent 3 hours making new hold down brackets that work with my new, 2" larger battery and I made the miata style hold down fake. The battery is now held in place with GM style Toe clamps (that are hidden under the Miata style straps).

Good luck stealing this one, F-ing hoodrats.

Suck that happens at these yards around Dallas, I used to have fun hitting them on a weekend. Of course it was always with a "weapon" that wasn't allowed on site, luckily I now peruse them in the work truck. Still an inconvenience though.

Gave thanks I no longer live in Dallas after reading the above by UNGN.

Honestly, I don't know how anyone does, housing is crazy expensive these days.

Used to be absolutely nothing north of where I lived, now the G Bush turnpike runs just a couple hundred feet from the parking lot and it appears to be built up nonstop all the way through Frisco and The Colony to 380

Lived 6 years in Edmond around 2000+, made it an effort not to go south of 63rd if I didn't have to or unless I was on the Harley with my group, not a fan of southside, maybe the same thoughts you have about Dallas though. That being said, I do know where your wagon ended up and is currently sitting. ;-)

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Lived in Edmond for most of my time in OK...when I moved there, it was a lot like the small city in Iowa I grew up in. Much has changed...we moved out of Edmond 3 years ago to the country. OKC's mayor is hell-bent on making OKC another Dallas...sorry "big-league city" in his words. They already got rid of everything that made the OKC state fair unique,

My old wagon? there have been a few, 1 is with a good friend. Then there's the one "Flip" had, customer that is associated with the street outlaws guys was gonna see if anybody knew where it is today, just out of curiousity. First one, I ran into it a few years back when Tony Stafford was racing it, story I was told has it sitting in a field, with a story being peddled that it is a stolen car...pretty wild what people come up with.

So, which wagon do you speak of?....guessing it's the beige Bonneville that went to your friend. Haven't seen nor heard anything of it since it left....except for the tag renewal notice that came 10 months later. Was a pretty decent car, just owned it at the wrong time to do anything with it.

Yeah, I pretty much feel the same way about the southside OKC...Mid/Del isn't great these days, either.

StreetStock#72

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2017
QUOTE="Clutch, post: 563757, member: 25669"]That sucks I would have wanted to kill someone

Like I said I would have wanted to kill someone and not for the missing battery or the damage because they touched my car! I to live in one of those cities here in the people's republic of New Jersey were only criminals can have guns and if someone breaks in my house and I do what's right. .....I go to jail I'm not being political but don't get me wrong the system is broaken![/QUOTE]

Dude... save your life and get out now. Lived there until 2003 and won't ever go back.
Florida is the USA, NJ is a communist state. God gave you the right to defend yourself and your family. If you let some candyass snowflake liberal politicians take that from you .... _____ (fill in the blank).
NJ- run, hide and tell

We love our Sherriff, he said get loaded up and kill bad guys.
See - LISTEN

A buddy got pulled over after a quick charcoal/burger run. when getting his license the Deputy spotted his carry permit in his wallet and asked
"is there a weapon in your vehicle or on your person"
'no sir'
He got his *ss chewed out for NOT having his firearm. Yeah, that'll happen in NJ/NY...LOl

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

StreetStock#72

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2017
Last week I bought the $75 Harbor Freight 3 ton jack and today I put it to the ultimate test... can you take off the passenger side Hooker Super Comp big block big header on a 502 with a wide sump road racing pan with a $75 jack?

The answer is yes. You have to take out the starter, of course, but if you get the car high enough, the header rotates 180 degrees and magically comes out.
View attachment 68233

The reason the header had to come out was years of jumping paved over prehistoric sand dunes @145 mph in the Nebraska sandhills has taken its toll on my headers and the 2" pipes are crushed down to about 1" and I need to patch them and put on a skid plate - the old skid plate we welded on years ago is long gone.
View attachment 68234
View attachment 68235
I cut out the flats ...
View attachment 68236
View attachment 68238
And then opened them up and cleaned up and removed the external aluminide coating in the weld areas.

Summit has 2" mandrel bends for about $15, So I ordered some for patch material.
View attachment 68239 View attachment 68240 View attachment 68241
Then I fit it and welded it into place with my $89 Harbor freight mig welder:
View attachment 68243

Now I have to do the other tube and put on skid plate doublers while I wait for the new mufflers to arrive from Summit.

Amazing undertaking - That is exactly why I won't run headers on the street ...no mo fo me
Rather lose a race than deal with all that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor