Detailed my neighbors 86 Monte Carlo after 17 years of sitting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 6 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
nice,you're off to a good start with that work stand Jack.keep the book as long as you need by all means.
Many thanks, Chris.
Looks like I will also have to get creative substituting some of the pertinent tools needed to get the job done.
Did you get the new trans installed in the car yet? The last time you were painting in preparation to install.
Your book is in good hands and will be well taken care of. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Indeed it is, most are far more creative than I am. I attended a Jamey Jordan seminar (google the name) and found out first hand what a hack I am.

I did drop the console in the wagon for a test fit today. It's not a great fit, but it will serve as a fine cup holder once my hole saw arrives.
I still plan on a few dimple die holes, and I'm also considering painting at least part of it.
I think the natural aluminum finish is a but overpowering in this car.

Please disregard the dirty mess :giggle:
View attachment 96987 View attachment 96988
Brian,
I think it looks great. Don't underestimate your skills. You may consider leaving the top area (between the rolled impressions) bare aluminum, and maybe either paint, upholster, or carpet the sides like a GP console. Just throwing it out there. All in all, I think you did a great job shaping and forming the console. Kudos to you, my friend.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I didn't plan to work on the GP but my carb seemed to be having issues with the secondaries. It was going lean when accelerating and it almost seemed like the air doors opened too soon but if I kept my foot into it the A/F guage wout go off the scale on the lean side which it would not do if it was just the air doors. I removed the inline filter and put in the stock filter in my q/jet. That didn't help so I put on the carb I just pur pback together. It set up nice with the idle but when I took it for a test run that too would go lean....so I tried a few things but nothing seemed to help. I usually crimp the fuel line and run the carb till it's out of gas but I was lazy this time. I'm glad I was lazy cause there was no fuel in the line. So I got my kit out to wire up the solinoid sitting on my inner fender so I can watch the open fuel line while cranking the engine. There was no gas for the first few revolutions of the engine and when the gas finally showed up it wasn't flowing that good. So it looks like my fuel pump ruined my day. So beside that I parked my GP and am now driving my Jeep. I have an upgraded fuel pump in my GP that has an fittings so I'll be picking this one up tomorrow...it was used to for an engine break in so it's worth the asking price of $100...:)

$_59.JPG

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Many thanks, Chris.
Looks like I will also have to get creative substituting some of the pertinent tools needed to get the job done.
Did you get the new trans installed in the car yet? The last time you were painting in preparation to install.
Your book is in good hands and will be well taken care of. ;)
i can only imagine what tools are required to make all these parts work together.hopefully V8 rumble's awesome build thread will help some as it's a very well documented one.
i did get the trans in a few weekends ago and am pleased with it,i've got just over 500 miles on it without issue.thanks for asking Jack.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
i can only imagine what tools are required to make all these parts work together.hopefully V8 rumble's awesome build thread will help some as it's a very well documented one.
i did get the trans in a few weekends ago and am pleased with it,i've got just over 500 miles on it without issue.thanks for asking Jack.
Chris,
I'm glad to hear that the trans went in without a hitch and is working satisfactorily...

I always refer back to Joe's (V8 Rumble) thread. He did a great job of documenting his work.
I've disassembled the trans with basic tools, assembling it might be a little more involved. I have not disassembled the clutch pistons yet. I plan to wait until I purchase a rebuild kit with all the clutches and steels. I can then take them apart and replace the clutches and steels, wrap them up and put them aside until I'm ready to put the whole shabang together.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Moved the Monte into position for its impending heart surgery.

20181009_154352_HDR.jpg

Reactions: 12 users

DavidZk79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 3, 2018
ea011f5716702456f8d474bf0cd8fcb8.jpg
Finally vacuumed after 3 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor