What did you do to your G-Body today? [2011-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Sooooooooo
The plan was to drive all week. Well, some things do not work out. Cranked car up early Monday morning and it is dark so I switch headlights on, no dash lights, crap, no big deal as I have tail lights and off I go. After a ways I turn on interior lights and mess with rheostat to try to get the dash lights to work and notice no speedometer. Crap again, not my day as G Body gods not happy that I have not driven car lately due to crappy rainy weather but still driving the car to work. Drive to lunch and all good. 5:00 comes and I have a couple places to go. Gets dark early and while it is still light I look at voltmeter and it shows the alternator is not charging. 3 times crap. Well, I am 25 miles from the house and I turn off AC and radio. Knowing I have a good battery and even though getting dark out I am not too worried about getting home with low beam archaic headlights that are getting dimmer the closer I get to the house. Finally driveway time and halfway up the drive I decide to turn on the high beams just for fun. No lights whatsoever. Pretty darn dark out there but I made it home due to the gods smiling at me. Have AC Delco alternator and headlight switch on the way. Could have been worse.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Sooooooooo
The plan was to drive all week. Well, some things do not work out. Cranked car up early Monday morning and it is dark so I switch headlights on, no dash lights, crap, no big deal as I have tail lights and off I go. After a ways I turn on interior lights and mess with rheostat to try to get the dash lights to work and notice no speedometer. Crap again, not my day as G Body gods not happy that I have not driven car lately due to crappy rainy weather but still driving the car to work. Drive to lunch and all good. 5:00 comes and I have a couple places to go. Gets dark early and while it is still light I look at voltmeter and it shows the alternator is not charging. 3 times crap. Well, I am 25 miles from the house and I turn off AC and radio. Knowing I have a good battery and even though getting dark out I am not too worried about getting home with low beam archaic headlights that are getting dimmer the closer I get to the house. Finally driveway time and halfway up the drive I decide to turn on the high beams just for fun. No lights whatsoever. Pretty darn dark out there but I made it home due to the gods smiling at me. Have AC Delco alternator and headlight switch on the way. Could have been worse.

You have a great attitude to deal with all that crap and still have a smile on your face....(y)

Reactions: 1 user

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
It's easier to have a great attitude when you actually make it to the driveway in spite of the odds stacked up! That might have had a different tone had the car died in the turn lane of a busy intersection 20 miles from the house. It probably helps that an alternator and headlamp switch are more reasonably priced than something late model as well.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

AlBreland

Apprentice
Oct 7, 2014
Palm Harbor, Florida
Bought a 350 L31 roller motor with a fresh rebuild, vortec heads and dropped it off at my mechanics. Fried my 4.3 last week. Tonight I ordered polished fined aluminum matching valve covers and air cleaner.....and a set of chromed stainless shorty headers. A new intake with edelbrock 600 are next plus all the other items that are missing. This is fun :)

Attachments

• headers.jpg
    headers.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 118
  • valvecovers.jpg
    valvecovers.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: 6 users

DavidZk79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 3, 2018
70a2b763382802a8cb5c302e390b4725.jpg
just finished installing 86 Monte ss gauges and steering wheel, looks great !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
As soon as I pulled into my driveway after work this morning (night shift, 10-6) my lower rad hose decided it no longer wanted to be associated with my cooling system and partially removed itself from the radiator. I decided now is as good a time as any to replace it with the new hose I bought last week. I trimmed about an inch off of the water pump end to pull it away from the frame (hose is meant for a '70 Skylark) a little bit. Wiggled the other end onto the rad, and filled it back up with coolant. Temp got to 230, I think there is a massive air bubble in the system. Passenger-most heater hose is stone cold, driver's side with the valve is hot, on both sides of the valve. It's been cooling off outside for about 2 hours. Will report back with more info soon.

Attachments

• hose1.jpg
    hose1.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 119
  • hose2.jpg
    hose2.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 140
  • hose3.jpg
    hose3.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 128

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
As soon as I pulled into my driveway after work this morning (night shift, 10-6) my lower rad hose decided it no longer wanted to be associated with my cooling system and partially removed itself from the radiator. I decided now is as good a time as any to replace it with the new hose I bought last week. I trimmed about an inch off of the water pump end to pull it away from the frame (hose is meant for a '70 Skylark) a little bit. Wiggled the other end onto the rad, and filled it back up with coolant. Temp got to 230, I think there is a massive air bubble in the system. Passenger-most heater hose is stone cold, driver's side with the valve is hot, on both sides of the valve. It's been cooling off outside for about 2 hours. Will report back with more info soon.

looking at the picture it looks like the lower hose was not installed all the way onto the rad. Those universal hoses are had to get on the lower rad connection. I use 2 hose clamps on mine

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
Well at least you've moved on to a different leaking area. Hope you get it figured, I'm getting nervous for you, that engine's been hot a few times already.

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Sounding like thermo is bad, and possibly the cap as well. Gets hot, makes a lot of pressure, might account for pushing coolant out at the housing and pushing the hose off if it was marginally tight to begin with

I don't buy house brand stuff like thermostats and caps anymore, i prefer to go to a name brand/OE

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor