What did you do to your G-Body today? [2011-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
with the conversion from Canadian to US ratios the rear end is a 3.08....:cool:
Haha. Yeah, 2.41 gears and what, a V6? You just don't see that many Canadian built cars south of the northern border. It was 0-60 mph in 5 minutes.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
IIRC those cutlass emblems are heat glued or something onto the door panel. I THINK. It's been a while. I know there is something different about them than the previous years. So check that before you take a screwdriver and try popping them off or something.

And it was a freaking Canadian built Cutlass! Built in St. Therese it appears (STE in the RPO, plus the VIN starting with a 2). Ewww… GU1...… 2.41 ratio 7.5" rear gear.

I'm not in any rush to go yanking them off, they can stay. If they are in fact melted into place then I'll just leave them, they aren't hurting anything.

And yeah, it was a "2" VIN car, not many Canadian built cars around here. My car still has a GU1 axle in it. It'll make a great giant paperweight as soon as I find an 8.5".

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Pulled out the heat gun, scrapers, wire wheels and cups - and went to town cleaning up the Monte's fire wall. Then I grabbed my favourite Ford wrench and folded over the pinch weld seams in the trans tunnel. Then a little scuff and spray action happened.

Tomorrow we paint the frame and get it ready to receive the LS next week(?).

Reactions: 4 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
blasted,masked and sprayed the rear rotors friday late nite.i stripped the engine down for removal today.i gotta jerk the fans,radiator and valve covers to pull the motor tomorrow.
1214182157.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Got my speedometer gears and manifold gaskets in the mail last week, got my dew sweeps Saturday, door panel clips are MIA. Basically USPS is like "we have no idea where the f*ck they are but you may get them eventually" so there went the notion of making my window not floppy. I also dislike how the Remflex gaskets are 1 piece. The driver's side gasket is pinched inbetween the dipstick tube. And they are 100% graphite, so they are VERY delicate. I wish they had a steel core, like a steel wire running through them to make them a bit stronger. Spent Saturday installing the passenger side manifold and putting new gaskets on both before it got cold again. next week I'll install the speedo gears and my dew sweeps, if the f*cking clips show up. The sweeps look very nice and very well made, I'm impressed. Came shipped in a large poster tube.
manifolds.jpg
manifold4.jpg
manifold1.jpg
manifold2.jpg
manifold3.jpg
speedogears.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Got my speedometer gears and manifold gaskets in the mail last week, got my dew sweeps Saturday, door panel clips are MIA. Basically USPS is like "we have no idea where the f*ck they are but you may get them eventually" so there went the notion of making my window not floppy. I also dislike how the Remflex gaskets are 1 piece. The driver's side gasket is pinched inbetween the dipstick tube. And they are 100% graphite, so they are VERY delicate. I wish they had a steel core, like a steel wire running through them to make them a bit stronger. Spent Saturday installing the passenger side manifold and putting new gaskets on both before it got cold again. next week I'll install the speedo gears and my dew sweeps, if the f*cking clips show up. The sweeps look very nice and very well made, I'm impressed. Came shipped in a large poster tube.
View attachment 101436 View attachment 101435 View attachment 101432 View attachment 101433 View attachment 101434 View attachment 101437
It's been many years since I've had a Buick but I thought the manifold gasket went between the head and the dipstick tube not between the tube and the manifold?

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
It's been many years since I've had a Buick but I thought the manifold gasket went between the head and the dipstick tube not between the tube and the manifold?
Still. There's not a lot of pics of the gaskets on a Buick, so I had no real reference. My tube is also slightly bent, so it will be coming back apart partially anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
View attachment 101436 View attachment 101435 View attachment 101432 View attachment 101433 View attachment 101434 View attachment 101437

I thought you said not to use manifold gaskets? Also if you are in a rush you should be able to get those clips at any auto body supply place. Sucks USPS lost them.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I thought you said not to use manifold gaskets? Also if you are in a rush you should be able to get those clips at any auto body supply place. Sucks USPS lost them.
Its not really that they're lost, they're just late as of now. And yeah, the factory Buicks didnt use gaskets. You dont need them if the surfaces are machined flat. Mine weren't, so I used gaskets. Have your guy mill the exhaust surfaces on the heads and manifolds and you can get away with no gaskets. That can be said with any manifold to head surface really, both being cast iron.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor