What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
So just a little bit of a PSA. I have refueled hot motors literally hundreds of times over the years. Never an issue. I have heard stories but yesterday my card came due. Pressure washing with a crew of 4. My unit is still waiting on parts so we used the backup to the backup which I have owned for more than 20 years. Refueled a hot engine as it was sitting in the back of the truck from a full 5 gallon jerry can. I splashed the fuel and right away seen and felt the fireball, realized I was done for and then called for help. Instinct told me to toss the jerry can over the side which sloshed fuel on me, the washer and the truck ( lol dumbass ). I jumped down and hosed off my t-shirt from the running water from the other washer we had going just 4 feet away. Then started hosing off the truck. Luckily I don't have much hair left but I lost my eyelashes and most of my beard in the fireball. My dumb *ss left the Extinguisher on the deck of the other work truck 2 floors below. Had a little one in the van so it knocked it down pretty quickly. Otherwise nothing hurt but my pride. Couple blisters on my face. I think the Jerry Can is a total loss. I may rebuild the washer LOL Also called the fire department and asked them to stand down as other than really smokey it was all under control. They said they had 3 calls in the couple minutes the fire burned.

....and my parts came in today to fix my rig so it's all put back together now and we continue rolling on....
Glad you're ok I put out a burning acetylene bottle a few weeks back it burnt my hand but it could have been a lot worse scared the crap out of me

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Put the big fronts on and hit a road course. Per the googles, you have 10 to choose from in Ontario. Half of my races have a standing start anyway so I get my drag racing fix in that way minus a time slip. I can do without cuz I blow at standing starts anyway.

Lapping days are $300-$500 for a session. Plus, as mentioned in the HellKitty thread it is a good way to void the drivetrain warranty. LOL. So that's a hard pass.

We did make another hack at the V today and I feel we did move forward some, but the big chunks were knocked out yesterday. Today was smaller tweaks, and I think I need to get smarter to get it better than it is in the cruise regions. With the WOT stuff, I'm just hitting a wall around 5000 RPM, it's heinous. Check out this snapshot of a nasty lean spike. It always happens at this RPM.

View attachment 149817

There's about 1.1 seconds transpiring between the lean spike initiating and either me lifting, or the car responding to me lifting. I'm none too sure why it goes so haywire here as you can see here in the VVE map there are no sudden changes.

View attachment 149818

See the wee blue selected cell? There's nothing dramatic happening around it, yet the car takes a big @$$ $hit anywhere near that region despite me adding fuel to it. I suspect I'm hitting a limit somewhere with this thing and I'm going to shoot myself in the foot pursuing VVE beyond this point. The wideband pegs full lean here, not just off by an AFR point or 2. If I can get past this, we can dial in the fueling to the gnat's *ss and move onto timing which is where we make some real money. I also tweaked the torque table that's reported to the transmission and the shifts were night and day better. I think that one needs another tweak before I go after the actual shift timing tables. He's also taking this to a dyno shop so if I can get this thing where I want it to be I can compare me to someone who knows what they're doing as a sort of gauge of my abilities. What I'm expecting is they'll be able to produce a more refined VVE table WRT WOT stuff and I'll be left filling in the blanks elsewhere.

Is this SD, or hybrid (SD/MAF)? And what is your calculated airmass at that instant?

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Yesterday I dropped my wife's Taurus off at the repair shop down the road from the jobsite that I have been on, to have the AC diagnosed. The AC repair cost me $140, but on the way to the shop, the alternator quit, so I had them replace that as well. At the end of the day, I spent $617, but I nearly froze myself on the way home with the working AC, and I didn't have to touch a single wrench

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Lapping days are $300-$500 for a session. Plus, as mentioned in the HellKitty thread it is a good way to void the drivetrain warranty. LOL. So that's a hard pass.

Is this SD, or hybrid (SD/MAF)? And what is your calculated airmass at that instant?

It's speed density and the answer was right in front of me. Take a look at the commanded AFR which is in the top right corner and green.

I have seen Chargers and Challengers on the road course, not so sure if any were Hellcats. A track day here goes for 150 or better and the race weekend I just signed up for was over $400.

• Wow

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
It's speed density and the answer was right in front of me. Take a look at the commanded AFR which is in the top right corner and green.

Yes, I saw that too. There are many reasons why it could drop out of PE/BE. I've had some crazy gremlins over the years.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Yes, I saw that too. There are many reasons why it could drop out of PE/BE. I've had some crazy gremlins over the years.

I'm headed home now to jump on the laptop. I'd love to hear about some of the things you've encountered that kicked it out of PE mode.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Probably. Car is a hodge podge of 71/72 stuff. It's a satellite sebring so it's got buckets, console and rally gages and the person he got it from had all the roadrunner clone stuff so it's got the rain catcher hood and dual rear exhaust valance off the car.

It was street machined out in the 80's so what happened to it then is a total mystery.
I noticed it cause I'm not a fan of the '72 side markers as they are more of a generic every car piece on all '72 Chrysler products. One of my wish list cars is a '71 Roadrunner with a big block & stick.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I'm headed home now to jump on the laptop. I'd love to hear about some of the things you've encountered that kicked it out of PE mode.

Maybe?

EDIT - Ideas and concepts: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?8490-SD-tuning-for-E38-E67-ECM-s

Last edited:

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Pulled the front wheels and took a fast peek at the rotors and pads. Nothing too obvious. Giving some consideration to plugging in a softer pad. Wear out faster but bed in quicker and offer better braking when cold. The S-10 is my commuter ride and needs to be able to stop stupid quick because the local squirrel in a cage and doing stupid on the road population seems to be expanding exponentially. Even the pedal your *ss poopa-troopers are getting weirder by the minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor