What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Very true. I really like a vortec 350 right up to the time I have to work on anything on the topend. Stupid distributor!!

The LS powered trucks just have to run 3k+ while towing uphill.

Right? 24x has been taunting me for a while now. There's gotta be a cheap factory route seeing how the 4.3 lived so long.

Reactions: 1 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
... and I / we bought more junk. 1992 FL70 or 80 ( ppwk is different than badging on the truck ). Cummins and Auto. Former Hydro Truck with a 65' reach. Comes with a full 4" binder of service history and been unplated since '18. Mechanically it appears to be OK but needs some cabinet work and a good pressure washing. Pretty much everything over the rear wheels is soft but nothing we cannot fix. 8200 hrs on the clock, 109 kms on the odo. Boom is smooth as warm butter. Guy said he would lift things up, install and set them down. In the 11 years he has had it he has never had it more than 30' off the back. So my business partner took him to the full extension up and over the truck touching the ground in front then over again to the back on all 4 axis. Guy was a little "green" when them came back down LOL
Guess I need to get my air-brake endorsement again. I am very grateful that even in these tough times we are able to expand the business ever so slowly even if it is with old junk.

Attachments

• 20200715_084922[1].jpg
    20200715_084922[1].jpg
    3 MB · Views: 106
Reactions: 6 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Painted and done...for my new truck. These are pre-color sanded pics, but they just got flatter and shinier once I hit them with 1500 and 2000 grit. Then used polishing compound by hand followed up with Maguire's finishing polish. It looks JUST as good as the factory parts at this point. Not Rktpwrd Dolphin Smooth, but will pass what GM's would look like if they ever made them in my color.

2020 body side molding kit.JPG

Color seems to match fairly well-

Color match body side molding.JPG

And final polish complete, ready for Zaino, then install. No discernable seam line where I Franken-glued them together. I'm pleased how they turned out.

Front door polished moldings.JPG

Reactions: 14 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Took back the skid last night. The 6.0 is definitely not as thirsty as my 8.1 was but I still miss the torque my 8100 and My lbz had.
KIMG1096.JPG

Maybe I should think hairdryer for my 247000 mile LS:unsure:

• Winner
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Took back the skid last night. The 6.0 is definitely not as thirsty as my 8.1 was but I still miss the torque my 8100 and My lbz had.
View attachment 152064
Maybe I should think hairdryer for my 247000 mile LS:unsure:

That's about where I put the Whipple on my 350 Vortec. Do it.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Completed my little body side molding project. Wife says that they're not very noticeable since they just sorta fade into the background. YESS!!! Excellent...that was exactly what I wanted. Subtle, but functional. Won't save every ding, but I'm not near as paranoid about parking at Home Depot, etc. Holy crap I never expected this, but the adhesive on the back of those trim pieces stuck almost instantly. It was like super glue on the back of those things.

Next up is installing the GM front hood protector/deflector (made by Lund. In fact, it comes in a big Lund box, and GM just sticks a GM part number label on the box.). Then get the windows tinted. And then probably an Elite catch can. Then I'll be done with the "upgrades".

Side Moldings Completed 1.JPG

Side Moldings Completed 2.JPG

Side Moldings Completed 3.JPG

Side Moldings Completed 4.JPG

• Winner
Reactions: 10 users

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
As I sit in my poor man's air conditioned shop (doors shut and ceiling fans on) this is my view as I re-read the manual for something I modded 18 years ago and couldn't remember how I did it.

It was all I could do just to find the manual. 🤔

This car has been sitting for 8 years while I tended to.........ummm LIFE.
I posted other updates I made with the front suspension and some stuff under hood.

Other stuff just stopped working while it sat.

So this weekend I got the temp and fuel gauge working again, found and fixed a leak in the Air Ride suspension system, fixed the remote key fobs to pop the electric solenoids for the doors and trunk, tweaked the carb I rebuilt, and when I thought the AC wasn't blowing cold enough, turns out I just didn't have the controls set right. I forgot how. 😡

Once I pulled my head out of my a$$, it now blows 36 degree air out of the vents.

If I can get the updated insurance policy all approved, it will off to the alignment shop later this week. Then I'll be back on the road.
IMG_20200719_152753351.jpg

• Love
  • Winner
Reactions: 20 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor