What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
I managed to add some negative camber to my Camaro axle today.

View attachment 134168

I went from .1 positive to .2 negative. .5 negative would be ideal, but it looks like there is a bit of cross talk between the 2 sides. The right side is about .5 which is as far as I want to go, but it wouldn't take any damn toe. 1/8" of toe in would really help this car. Has anyone else been down this road?

Uhhh youre supposed to do it out at the end so the flange is walked way forward or backwards.

Ive never cambered or toe'd a semi float axle, just straightened them.

My Quick change is toe'd and cambered but I have bolt on snouts, cambered drive flanges and crowned axles, can go up to 2.5* which if the snouts are rotated to only toe translates to over 2-1/4" with a 27" spread

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I managed to add some negative camber to my Camaro axle today.

View attachment 134168

I went from .1 positive to .2 negative. .5 negative would be ideal, but it looks like there is a bit of cross talk between the 2 sides. The right side is about .5 which is as far as I want to go, but it wouldn't take any damn toe. 1/8" of toe in would really help this car. Has anyone else been down this road?

Is that an accepted practice?

I know its probably a race application where the miles are low but straight cut splines are not made to translate angles, neither are cylindrical wheel bearings.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Is that an accepted practice?

I know its probably a race application where the miles are low but straight cut splines are not made to translate angles, neither are cylindrical wheel bearings.
There are a whole lot on the road that are further out than that on accident. Generally a floater hub thing though not a semi float.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
To be clear, I'm staying within spec per the FSM which is -.6 camber and .3 toe. I'm shooting for 1/16-1/8" of toe in. If I do it out at the flange, the bearing will rotate more and bind won't it? I'm copying someone else who did this and didn't cause himself issues, but his method that worked for camber isn't giving me one visible iota of toe. For camber, I'm worried adding to the left has more impact on the right side. What method do you use to straighten axles?

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
I use the same method to straighten as most seem bent towards the center, whether its a 9" or otherwise.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
My ignorance may be to blame here. I was using a cutting tip, but it turns out there's a rosebud tip that is more suited to what I'm doing. Hopefully I can get some more heat into this thing and get some toe into this diff. MC do you ever see cross-talk when correcting/setting camber? i.e. add camber on the left and it also adds it on the right?

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
My ignorance may be to blame here. I was using a cutting tip, but it turns out there's a rosebud tip that is more suited to what I'm doing. Hopefully I can get some more heat into this thing and get some toe into this diff. MC do you ever see cross-talk when correcting/setting camber? i.e. add camber on the left and it also adds it on the right?

I never have, How are you measuring it?

Quenching will visibly move the tube and has better results than air cooling

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I clamped angle aluminum/iron to the axle flanges. I have a Longacre digital camber/caster gauge for camber and am using a tape measure for toe. I marked the angle at the same distance that my toe plates would be at for consistency there. Wouldn't quenching affect the metal's strength?

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
I clamped angle aluminum/iron to the axle flanges. I have a Longacre digital camber/caster gauge for camber and am using a tape measure for toe. I marked the angle at the same distance that my toe plates would be at for consistency there. Wouldn't quenching affect the metal's strength?
It does effect it sure, but Ive never seen a housing have an issue afterwards and thats on 9"s being treated relatively roughly

Nov 4, 2012
Got the Cub Cadet back in one piece. It's got some new seals and bushings, new o-rings in the deck lift spool valve, a new breather gasket, fuel line, and some other miscellaneous parts. I still need to do the regular tune up items and I want to change the hydraulic oil and filter, but it's looking pretty good. Now I'm on the hunt for some used spool valves so I can add a power lift power angle blade.

20200122_173706.jpg
20200122_173715.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor