What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
93 friggin' degrees F here today (about 34C) plus it's humid as f*ck and the A/C is running but sum ting wong.....blowing warm air...wtf? Blower's running, setpoint is a couple degrees lower than actual temp...feel the refrigeration lines, one warm, the other warm....about the same temp. Ruh roh...

Go out and look at the A/C compressor/condenser unit....not running. Fan not running. Oh fudge. Hope the compressor didn't choke itself... potentially many $$$ to the A/C guy in my future...

Turn off everything, do my voltage checks, everything verified dead. Took screwdriver and shorted out the capacitor AND the hard start capacitor, just to be sure.

Checking for shorts....nothing. Everything seems open on the compressor wiring. Fan motor too. Wait, wtf is this? Bottom of the dual run capacitor and the top were bulged out. Should be flat. Not a good sign. Pop the meter over to read microfarads, and check the capacitor. Dead as a door nail. Hard start capacitor checked out ok, but it was old....

Could I be in luck and just replace the capacitor and save the day? Run down to the local HVAC repair place and tell them the dual run capacitor size I need, and bam! 26 bucks later (same exact Genteq capacitor, brand name and all, is half that on Amazon). Got a hard start kit too, just to be sure. Not that the hard start capacitor was bad, but the top of it showed some pretty heavy corrosion. It was a mightaswell. Only another $30 for that. Kept the old one for emergency spare if needed.

Checked the new capacitors and they were fine, so I plugged them in. Powered it up and the fan and compressor kicked in without issue. Only saving about 7 amps lower with the hard start kit on start than without, but I'll take it.

Me and ELEKTRIKALS do not get along. I'm no good at it, and I don't claim to be. But about an hour and a half's time (including the drive to get parts) I had the bish up and running again. For less than $60 I got A/C again. I ordered another dual run capacitor from Amazon today as well. Should be here Monday. You just NEVER know the next time a capacitor sh*ts the bed it'll be on a Friday night and hot af.

I did the same for my well water pump controller. Have a replacement in the laundry room shelf. Had one of those poop out on a Sunday night one time, so luckily we didn't have to go without without the well for any more than about 12 hours until I could get a new one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZY66QZ5/?tag=gbody-20

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
3rd round of soda blasting the wheels on the new yellow heap. They are as good as they are going to get. Nobody wants to see me wet or half blasted wheels. I wiped them down, lubed up the rubber and shot them with rust convertor. Friday primer, possibly Saturday they get shiney white rustoleum that nobody will care about. FML this OCD sucks. Why can't I just have rusty wheels with overspray BBQ paint on the tires like everybody else ???

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
93 friggin' degrees F here today (about 34C) plus it's humid as f*ck and the A/C is running but sum ting wong.....blowing warm air...wtf? Blower's running, setpoint is a couple degrees lower than actual temp...feel the refrigeration lines, one warm, the other warm....about the same temp. Ruh roh...

Go out and look at the A/C compressor/condenser unit....not running. Fan not running. Oh fudge. Hope the compressor didn't choke itself... potentially many $$$ to the A/C guy in my future...

Turn off everything, do my voltage checks, everything verified dead. Took screwdriver and shorted out the capacitor AND the hard start capacitor, just to be sure.

Checking for shorts....nothing. Everything seems open on the compressor wiring. Fan motor too. Wait, wtf is this? Bottom of the dual run capacitor and the top were bulged out. Should be flat. Not a good sign. Pop the meter over to read microfarads, and check the capacitor. Dead as a door nail. Hard start capacitor checked out ok, but it was old....

Could I be in luck and just replace the capacitor and save the day? Run down to the local HVAC repair place and tell them the dual run capacitor size I need, and bam! 26 bucks later (same exact Genteq capacitor, brand name and all, is half that on Amazon). Got a hard start kit too, just to be sure. Not that the hard start capacitor was bad, but the top of it showed some pretty heavy corrosion. It was a mightaswell. Only another $30 for that. Kept the old one for emergency spare if needed.

Checked the new capacitors and they were fine, so I plugged them in. Powered it up and the fan and compressor kicked in without issue. Only saving about 7 amps lower with the hard start kit on start than without, but I'll take it.

Me and ELEKTRIKALS do not get along. I'm no good at it, and I don't claim to be. But about an hour and a half's time (including the drive to get parts) I had the bish up and running again. For less than $60 I got A/C again. I ordered another dual run capacitor from Amazon today as well. Should be here Monday. You just NEVER know the next time a capacitor sh*ts the bed it'll be on a Friday night and hot af.

I did the same for my well water pump controller. Have a replacement in the laundry room shelf. Had one of those poop out on a Sunday night one time, so luckily we didn't have to go without without the well for any more than about 12 hours until I could get a new one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZY66QZ5/?tag=gbody-20

At least you worked through it with what you knew, bought $60 of parts ( which who knows how much an HVAC guy would charge ) and got it to work. Even if you didn't get it running, that's something the HVAC guy couldn't rip you off on.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I took a picture after wrapping up for the night. The glow next to the bug zapper makes for an interesting sight.

IMG_20200806_211734.jpg

Fancy.

Reactions: 9 users
Nov 4, 2012
Cleared a path for the tractor so I can haul this wood down the hillside. Used the hand weed cutter, felt like yelling "Taking it off here, boss!", "Drinking it up here boss!"
20200806_123926.jpg

20200806_141118.jpg

Split and stacked a few rounds.
20200806_144124.jpg

Burned some too.
20200806_171400.jpg

Ordered a new short block for my Husky 562xp that got hit with a skid steer.
s-l1600.jpg

And got to use the pool for the first time this year.
20200806_154531.jpg

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 11 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Potsylvania?? Isn't that where Rocky Squirrel's arch nemesis, Boris Badanov came from???

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Potsylvania?? Isn't that where Rocky Squirrel's arch nemesis, Boris Badanov came from???

You may as well be speaking in tongues, but if you're referring to the beer- Ying-Ling, good stuff. I prefer their regular Lager but beggars can't be choosers. I drink whatever's cold.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
And got to use the pool for the first time this year.
View attachment 153894

I had a few buddies who I worked with in IA from PA and they would haul cases of Yuengling back when they went home for holidays. I learned PA'ers veins must be like 3% yuengling or something for as much as they swore by it.

Not being from the NE I had never heard of it and got called uncultured by my PA buddies for never drinking the sweat nectar that is Yuengling.

I understand now it's an east coat thing.

Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Put a lunchbox type locker in the front axle of the WJ Grand Cherokee. It sounds like a bucket of bolts under the front end now. I guess it takes around 600 miles for these things to actually wear in and work exactly as intended. I can see where a selectable locker would be awesome but for the difference in price I'll try this one out. Also some wheel spacers to get the tires off the control arms. Also mounted these rock sliders. Not sure if I posted anything about cutting out the spare tire well and moving the fuel tank up or not. Also replaced the broken receiver hitch with one that exits from the bumper cover instead of hanging completely underneath it. Greatly improved departure angle. These rigs come with different fuel tank "skid plates". The one mine had is maybe 1/16" thick, the V8 tow package rigs have one that is twice as thick. I sourced one of those and cut 6 inches out of the sides and welded it up.
View attachment 153724 View attachment 153730 View attachment 153731 View attachment 153725 View attachment 153726 View attachment 153727 View attachment 153728 View attachment 153729 View attachment 153732

Well your first mistake is working off of an energy drink or health water and not delicious alcohol.

In other news, I have been plugging away at my flipper truck. I popped out 2 freeze plugs and sh*t my pants for an extended period of time while expending zero effort since last October. I'd been thinking that I'd done way more damage than I had and I didn't want to own up to it. I was making a jumper harness to make a gasser GMT400 gas engine swap into a 6.5 diesel (turd) body and plugged the damned thing in not an hour after those plugs did ther thing. Thank Christ they did. Turns out the damage wasn't all that bad. A water pump and a QD fitting on the intake and I was set. At this point, I realized that my tstat was junk.
You may as well be speaking in tongues, but if you're referring to the beer- Ying-Ling, good stuff. I prefer their regular Lager but beggars can't be choosers. I drink whatever's cold.

Given the choice, I choose what I want. If not, I default to what's there.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I had a few buddies who I worked with in IA from PA and they would haul cases of Yuengling back when they went home for holidays. I learned PA'ers veins must be like 3% yuengling or something for as much as they swore by it.

Not being from the NE I had never heard of it and got called uncultured by my PA buddies for never drinking the sweat nectar that is Yuengling.

I understand now it's an east coat thing.

Every time I've gone TDY to the east coast someone goes gay for Yuengling and ends up mailing a bunch back to themselves. I equate it to people who go crazy for In N Out. I'll chug Yuengling all day, but I won't hunt it down because I need it in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor