What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Not sure, haven't done it yet. I was on track to have my bump steer kit installed with the covid "teleworking", but now summer's here and I'm in survival mode with the race car. And teleworking is a distant memory. I was thinking I'd just freehand the thing, but planned to ask someone who's done it before if that's a bad idea. I think it'll be easier for me because I won't be dealing with a spacer.
IDK.... Spacer or not, you still want a plumb/true hole for the bolt. Anything less would seem to allow for movement. The more movement that can happen, the more things can get 'stretched' (for lack of a better description). I could just be being overly critical but I like to err on the safer/better side of the line when it comes to mods.

The free-hand got it done. I just wanted it more precise than what it was when done. Like I stated, I still had to use the hydraulic press to fully seat the bushing so I'm ok. I just know it could be done w/more precision & would prefer it that way.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
IDK.... Spacer or not, you still want a plumb/true hole for the bolt. Anything less would seem to allow for movement. The more movement that can happen, the more things can get 'stretched' (for lack of a better description). I could just be being overly critical but I like to err on the safer/better side of the line when it comes to mods.

Reason I say that is I see myself in your situation, no way to true the thing in a drill press. I'm willing to take a chance because I have multiple sets of knuckles. I'll only take the chance after I calculate the risk though. I think I'd know as soon as I slid the bolt in the hole if I got it right or not though. If I'm smart, I'll drill 2 sets and keep an extra pair of knuckles in the trailer as spares. You'd be surprised what passes as a consumable in road racing.

Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Reason I say that is I see myself in your situation, no way to true the thing in a drill press. I'm willing to take a chance because I have multiple sets of knuckles. I'll only take the chance after I calculate the risk though. I think I'd know as soon as I slid the bolt in the hole if I got it right or not though. If I'm smart, I'll drill 2 sets and keep an extra pair of knuckles in the trailer as spares. You'd be surprised what passes as a consumable in road racing.
Just do a better job than I did keeping the drill straight & true during the duration of the process. The larger bits tend to pull you where they're going so it was a PITA.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Forgot to show off the new heartbeat for the Blazer
20200824_124244.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Nov 4, 2012
That Poulan looks like the adult version of mine. But it was free so I really shouldn't complain.

View attachment 155211

Generic image but looks like mine. Every time you make a chainsaw post I get envy. :ROFLMAO:

The Wild Thing! My neighbor bought one new back in the 90s and he's been heating his house with it ever since. He probably cuts and burns 6 or 7 cords a year. Meanwhile I don't even have a fireplace and I cut maybe 5 cord a year with 20 different saws lol.

It's a side hobby, it's relatively inexpensive and just something a little different than cars. Run a ported a saw once and you're ruined, you'll never want to run anything else again.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Just investigated the non-working 442 speedo. The DeWalt 18v cordless does 38mph in 2nd gear when you chuck the cable in it. I can feel the worm gear, and it feels centered in the hole. I have some sort of gear mesh problem. Call AutoGear tomorrow....

Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Just investigated the non-working 442 speedo. The DeWalt 18v cordless does 38mph in 2nd gear when you chuck the cable in it. I can feel the worm gear, and it feels centered in the hole. I have some sort of gear mesh problem. Call AutoGear tomorrow....

You get that shift lever flipped back around?

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Ran into my old BMW today. Haven't seen it since I sold it almost 3 years ago. Looks like it's got different wheels on it now but otherwise looks about the same. The rust doesn't seem to have progressed very much. Sometimes I miss it, other times I'm glad it's gone. Glad to see it's still on the road though.
20200826_141932.jpg

Also replaced the console latch on my Dad's CX-5. The catch tab broke off. $10 part and took 3 minutes and a flat head screwdriver replace.
20200826_173930.jpg
20200826_173937.jpg
20200826_174218.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
You get that shift lever flipped back around?
No, I need to find out of it's possible to put the worm gear on the shaft backarse. Not much point in fighting the shifter on the car if I have to yank it back out to press the speedo gear off and flip it.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
No, I need to find out of it's possible to put the worm gear on the shaft backarse. Not much point in fighting the shifter on the car if I have to yank it back out to press the speedo gear off and flip it.

Ugh, gayness. It can't just slip off like on other trannies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor