What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olds G's

Greasemonkey
Apr 6, 2020
CT
Nice score on the saw Joe's Regal Project!

I went to take out the '88 Cadillac Brougham and noted a nice pool under the car. Ordered an AC Delco water pump, hoses. Also going to order a radiator and heater core from NAPA. Not available from GM or AC Delco apparently. The leaking was from both the radiator and water pump. I'll change out the heater core as it is the next weak link. I'll share photos of my bleeding knuckles and missing finger nails as the job progresses when I get all the parts.:LOL:

Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I am definitely a profit for the gmt360 chassis and the wonder they posses.

However one of the things that I can't commend the chassis on is ac compressor maintenance access.

The compressor was stuck when I bought the car 85k miles ago and when dad helped me put it back together he ordered the cheapest compressor on eBay. It started rattling this spring and it turned out to be the clutch bearing. I thought about just swapping the clutch since the pump itself was fine but i found out these compressors really aren't home serviceable and I admitted I had to swap the whole thing.

I knew the project was going to suck and it doesn't disappoint. These chassis aren't really designed from day one to have an LS so pulling the compressor isn't really that fun.

You have to remove the compressor mount from the block, move it forward an inch and then unbolt the compressor from the mount, remove the rad fan and rad hoses and then wiggle it funny to sqweeze the compressor out separate from the mount. That was after removing the air box and window washer resovior too.

Biggest punch in the gut was putting it together and then going underneath to install the last two bottom bolts in and realized I have to install it loose through the compressor before I tighten the mount to the block since the bolt is too long and it hits the frame.

Pulled a vac on the system and if it holds I'll charge it. Dumb ac seal kit I ordered didn't include the suction side hose to compressor seal so I reused the old one that didn't look that great so hopefully it holds.

Also did an oil change so I'm slowly knocking stuff out. I need to weld the last patch in the frame and swap out the other upper rear control arm along with changing the tcase AWD actuator before winter.
View attachment 155895

Now add a Procharger to the mix.

• Scared
Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Found the cause of the oily substance all over the front of the Rusterado 6.0. Leaky trans cooler..... I feel like it's not that old, or I am getting that way.
20200902_160550.jpg

Air tank for drag strip shenanigans came in.....
20200902_153511.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Wrapped up another pair of models tonight.

I ordered a stack of parts (like $1200 worth) back when the 'rona was first locking stuff down and I was concerned my delivery was going to get cut off for a long time since the 3d printing place I contract out of is on Long Island. Plus with not knowing how long the lockdows were happening I wanted plenty to do.

As things go, I got busy house remodeling and sat on uncompleted inventory for most the spring and early summer. Stuff opened up and my surplus of time never happened. Probably for the best.

I have knocked through like 90% of the raw inventory over the past few months and only have a few things left so that's good. I have another order of parts in the mail now so it's the never ending treadmill of model building for me at least at the time being.

The biggest issue i have is about 50% of my sales are hand delivery and through word of mouth at model & hobby shows. Nobody knows if shows are happening this fall/winter (when most are held) and my online orders list I collect through my FB page is getting thin. Tough to drum up business to the same few dozen online customers when I have already had them spend a few hundred dollars this year. I've already milked my return customers who buy one or two things from me every year.

I've found it's relatively easy for a new prospective buyer to see a $150-$350 model in person and decide they want one, even if I don't have one in stock. They are usually are OK waiting for 3 months for me to build it and ship it to them. However, it's tough to turn online 'likes' into sales from what I've found. Seeing it in person has a lot better sales return rate than an online post.

It's nice to whittle down my orders list but kinda concerning at the same time.

1599103595033.png

Reactions: 6 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Bought this saw last week. Stihl MS461. It was a tree company saw so it was run hard and put away wet, but it's nice on the inside. These saws are powerhouses, 77cc. I tore it down, needs fuel lines and an impulse line, a muffler cover, an antivibe bushing, and a clutch drum. Already swapped the ugly handle for an aftermarket 3/4 wrap. As I got it-
View attachment 155967
View attachment 155968 View attachment 155969
After some cleanup-
View attachment 155970 View attachment 155971
Torn down for a deep clean and new parts-
View attachment 155972 View attachment 155973 View attachment 155974

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Olds G's

Greasemonkey
Apr 6, 2020
CT
Played a few albums whilst job hunting. Scored this during Record Store Day this past Saturday. This is a double album, picture disc re release of the British Steel album.
20200903_140335.jpg

• Love
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor